Re: GTK bugs

  • From: <tpgww@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: emelfm2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2007 08:59:43 +1100

On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 15:14:43 +0100
Grégory SCHMITT <gy.schmitt@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I switched yesterday to Fedora 8 coming with GTK 2.12.1 and I've
> noticed a couple of glitches:
>
> - sometimes, the lift on the right of any panel, disappears for no
> reason when browsing. The only way to browse files at the end of the
> list is to use PgUP/PgDown, the mousewheel won't do anything. e2 needs
> to be restarted.
>
> -the button to raise the output window sometimes doesn't do anything.
>
> These glitches are not triggered by a specific method ; they tend to
> appear after a while randomly.

I've noticed:
 -vertical scrollbar sometimes doesn't show in a filelist
 -dividers between filelists, and between filelists and output, will not move
either by drag or by toolbar-button action
 -'alternate' image for toggle-buttons does not display (though the action -
except if it's to move a divider - does work)

For me, they started to happen at the time of a wide-ranging upgrade, and I've
been trying to evaluate whether the problem really is due to e2, gtk, glibc,
gcc etc etc. It's tough when the problem occurs sporadically.

Sofar, no definitive conclusion. There's nothing obvious inside e2, nor could I
see anything obvious inside gtk (both 2.12.0 and 2.12.1 have been used here,
with these same symptoms). My current focus is on gcc. I've seen a few recent
posts about its buggy optimisation - not only in the current 4.2.2.

Any of you that can provide further clues, please do. One thing would be to try
compiling without optimisation (i.e. -O0 in Makefile.config or in your CFLAGS).
It would be good even to find a test-case that will always fail, so we can do
some exploration.

This is one of the things delaying the next official release.