Re: Folder creation bug

  • From: <tpgww@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: emelfm2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 21 Jun 2009 15:40:19 +1000

On Sun, 21 Jun 2009 06:27:09 +0200
Maarten Maathuis <madman2003@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > I can't test it here ATM, due to crashes all over the place ;-( I just
> > updated my distro, and am now getting lots of the sort of X errors reported
> > recently for ubuntu 9.04 and debian testing. Thread-locking is not working
> > properly. I'm not sure if it's e2 itself, or gtk 2.16 (again) or glibc or
> > xlib (actually libxcb, now) or X server. My current favourite is libxcb
> > (some significant changes there, between previous and current versions, and
> > still a long TODO). If I turn out to be correct about this, we're pretty
> > much stuffed until they fix it (or else recode emelFM2 to use just 1
> > thread, YUK).
>
> I'm a complete novice at this, but you are locking (other) threads
> before doing rendering related stuff?

Within emelFM2 there is comprehensive usage of gdk's lock mechanism (a mutex).
While it's still possible that we've missed some lock coverage, that seems
increasingly unlikely as time passes, and the code gets refined and tested more
and more on systems that do work as intended. But recent error messages
indicate that the lock is not being observed sometimes, somewhere in the system
and apparently not in e2 functions that involve UI functionality. Our
difficulty is compounded by emelFM2, gtk and libxcb all doing some UI-related
things asynchronously.

> Also, it's indeed possible that the libX11 libxcb interface is to blame.
> The change that i have in mind is
> http://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/lib/libX11/commit/?id=54e5c0941b0ded1628d559a9f0a3451ea96c299b

Indeed, it's that sort of thing that inspired my comment (above) about libxcb.
Prior to the last week or so, I had libxcb 1.1.91 or something, and it worked
ok. From libxcb changelogs, I see that 1.1.92 was the first with a new locking
process. Now I have 1.2, and things went bad. Debian testing uses 1.3, I think.
The libxcb mail-list has various posts about problems with threads, but I can't
find anything about fixes.