Re: Feature request : samba support

  • From: <tpgww@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: emelfm2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2007 14:03:49 +1100

On Fri, 2 Nov 2007 01:46:59 -0000
"Lepert, Guillaume" <guillaume.lepert07@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hello,
> As far as I've seen, emelfm2 does not support samba, nor is such a feature in
> the TODO list.
> Is there a particular reason ?
We simply assume that any place accessed via samba will be mounted somewhere,
and so, able to be processed using the normal file-system mechanisms, or via
FUSE if the OS supports that.

> Would it be a considerable effort ?
Probably not so much effort to collect and display lists of items, but a very
big effort to intercept all file-system-related activities, decide if they need
to be handled specially, and then do so properly where appropriate. I can state
this with confidence, having looked into, and done some of the work for,
supporting vfs operations generally. There are hundreds of things which need to
be resolved and fixed, across much of the codebase. (Many of them are already
well on the way, but officially, there's no commitment to support vfs
operations, not least because there doesn't seem to be much interest among
emelFM2 users. The biggest issue, by a large amount, is management of entered
commands when the active directory can be anywhere/anything.)

> Would other people than me be interested in it ?
> I'm quite willing to *try* developping it if some knowledgable people would
> be kind enough to assist me...
If you'd like to proceed, we'll give as much guidance as possible.