Re: Feature request- Pause updating

  • From: <tpgww@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: emelfm2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2014 18:31:13 +1100

On Wed, 22 Jan 2014 09:23:39 +0000
Geoff <capsthorne@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Wed, 22 Jan 2014 10:27:29 +1100
> >
> > Svn is worth another evaluation, now.
> >

> I have
> been trying to work out what triggers the issue, because there is an element
> of
> randomness.

That sort of behaviour is probably a symptom of a race occurring during the
filelist refresh process (which is performed in its own thread).

> I don't know if it will help you, but I will explain my circumstances, I have
> an IRC channel which is logged 24/7.  The log file is updated 3 or 4 times per
> minute on average and lives in /home/me/.xchat2/xchatlogs/ (which has 2,371
> files as I type).  I also have a /home/me/fetchmail_log which is updated every
> 5 minutes. Subject to what I will say about the the IRC log file in point
> (4) below, changes to these files seem to be the triggers for skipping to the
> top- albeit the skipping occurs a few seconds after the file is updated, and
> sometimes does not happen at all.

Sometimes there's a 3-second interval imposed between refreshes, to prevent
'never-ending' updates when contents are changing rapidly.

> As I write this I am using revision 3022 (installed a couple of hours ago) -
> with my usual 2 vertical pane layout, my home directory being on the left.  I
> am
> testing by opening the vast /usr/lib in the right pane and scrolling a long
> way
> down without selecting any file. My results are :
>
> (1) The skipping occurs *only* if no file is selected in the pane (eg
> the /usr/lib panel updates even if a file is selected in /home).  There is no
> skipping in /usr/lib if I select a file in the panel, even though I then
> scroll
> up and down so that it is out of view.

More specifically, nothing was ever selected ? or there was selection (which
positions the treeview cursor) followed by un-selection ?

> (2) /home does not always skip even if no file is selected - the effect seems
> to be random.
> (3) Enabling or disabling '..' makes no difference.
> (4) /home/me/.xchat2/xchatlogs/ (in which, you will recall, the regularly
> updated log file resides) never skips - except for a slight realignment of the
> top line on the first update after I enter the directory.

I'm struggling to construct here a test case that has similar features e.g.
mere 'watch > some file in a subdir of home' doesn't replicate your
observations.

Is your lib dir being refreshed due to some access-time change(s) ?