Re: Crashes on file deletion

  • From: <tpgww@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: emelfm2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2009 09:26:55 +1100

On Sat, 28 Mar 2009 14:23:35 +0000
Geoff <capsthorne@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I update Arch itself daily, and today the following package
> upgrades installed.
>
> atk (1.24.0-1 -> 1.26.0-1)
> randrproto (1.2.2-1 -> 1.3.0-1)
> libxrandr (1.2.3-1 -> 1.3.0-1)
> pango (1.22.4-1 -> 1.24.0-1)
> gtk2 (2.14.7-2 -> 2.16.0-1)

Does this mean that your glib was already 2.20 ?

> emelfm2 is now crashing when I select files to delete.  I
> can't establish a clear pattern but apart from one occasion
> when the program froze and had to be killed, and one when
> the delete confirmation window appeared, but contained no
> text : I am seeing :
>
> emelfm2: Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily
> unavailable) on X server :0.0

I still haven't figured out a safe way to upgrade my gtk etc to 2.16, to
investigate in detail here. I did try, but to cut a long story, related things
entirely wrecked my xorg stuff, and I've only just recovered (more or less)
after a few  wasted days ...

Can you precisely identify what happened before the problem occurs e.g. upon
click toolbar button ? Is it only when the response to the <button|menu> is a
pop-up dialog ? What happens if you type-in the action assigned to the
<button|menu>, instead ?

In file emelfm2.h, at about line 645, there is

//#define NATIVE_BGL

Can you try a rebuild with that line un-commented ? This change will break some
things, sometimes resulting in X problems similar to the one you're reporting,
but I'm interested to know if the behaviour changes in any way.

I looked at a few diffs between gtk 2.14.7 and 2.16.0, for the files
most-obviously related to e2's filelist UI, but can't see anything offensive.
Maybe there's something in glib.

With arch, are you able to selectively revert packages ? If so, can you try
with previous glib/gtk/atk/pango ? I doubt that the randr packages you upgraded
would be relevant.