Re: A couple of things...

  • From: "Sadako" <sadako@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: emelfm2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2008 10:19:52 +0100 (IST)

> On Tue, 8 Jul 2008 17:48:08 +0100 (IST)
> "Sadako" <sadako@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> Just a few of things I'd like to ask about;
>>
>> #1: middle-click in the address/location bar brings up an open dialog,
>> rather than just pasting from the X selection buffer, is this by design?
> Yes.
> We do want an easy way to trigger the dialog by mouse-action (in keeping
> with our goal of making things happen by mouse or keyboard). Left- and
> right-clicks are taken, and it seemed like pasting into an address-entry
> would be not so common, and anyway, pasting is available via a right-click
> context-menu.
>
> But the current arrangement could be changed without any great harm, so as
> to not detract from "standard" functionality.
>
> Maybe it would be easiest to remember as <Ctrl><middle-click> ? Anyone got
> any strong views about this stuff ?

<Ctrl><middle-click> would be okay, the problem with pasting via the
right-click menu is that in only pastes from the gtk buffer, not the X11
selection selection buffer which is what I and a lot of others use more
(for example just highlighting any text in a none-vte or DE terminal to
copy into the X11 buffer).

>> #2: If you set emelfm2 to open a particular directory in each pane upon
>> startup, it still visibly opens the last directories viewed, and _then_
>> switches to the direcories specified...
> Wasted effort doesn't actually happen, but it may look a bit like it. The
> directory-combo will initially show the history from last session, but any
> "startup" dir is selected before any filelist contents are produced.

You're right, of course.
It actually looked to me as if the entire pane was flickering, as if it
opened the dir in the history and quickly switched to what you have in the
config, but it's only address bar

>> I had a look at the source, but I'm not really much of a programmer so
>> that was kind of pointless...
>>
>> #4: When you open a file simply by clicking it or selecting it and
>> pressing enter, the filename is provided to whatever you have associated
>> that filetype with the full path, however if you open the file by
>> bringing
>> up the context menu and selecting any of the programs associated with
>> it,
>> only the file name is provided, no path, which is understandable as you
>> can select and open multiple files by this method, but the difference in
>> behaviour seems a little bit odd (and is messing with my mpc script :( )
> It defaults to adding just the names, if only a command|application name
> is provided via the dialog.
>
> It's quite ok to include macros, and in particular, to append %p. That
> will provide the full path of each selected item as separate arguments.
>
> Maybe it would be more consistent to default to %p behaviour, with %f to
> over-ride that. Especially as the operation is queued, and it may be that
> the CWD is not what it was when the selection was done ...

Yeah, actually I really _should_ just be using macros for what I'm trying
to do.

One other thing I forgot about earlier, but it's a little hard to explain
properly, wrt to the "select first item in newly-opened directories", if
you enter an empty directory, leave it, then come back to it when it's
populated, nothing is selected.

Logically that behaviour makes sense, but it would probably be preferable
to select the first item in that case (if that config item is
selected/enabled).

Anyways, thanks for responding and addressing my questions.