[ell-i-developers] Re: OpenOCD and ellduino

  • From: Teemu Hakala <temmi@xxxxxx>
  • To: Qinglai Xiao <jigsaw@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 8 Jun 2014 13:13:25 +0300

On 8.6.2014, at 12:15, Qinglai Xiao <jigsaw@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> @Teemu Instead of JTAG, what is your opinion on SWD?

I think SWD is better but JTAG programmer/debuggers are more common.
The next generation boards are going to include other parts than just
the MCU that support JTAG and none of them have SWD. That pretty much
means we need all JTAG pins.

From what I’ve understood, the SWD and JTAG are pretty much the same
from semantic point of view, but their signaling at "lower layers"
are different. I think they have 1:1 mapping, so supporting both should
not be too hard.

Regarding the matter of different programmers and which to support,
I’m of the opinion that the more the merrier.

 - t