[ell-i-developers] Node management, discovery and such issues

  • From: Teemu Hakala <temmi@xxxxxx>
  • To: ell-i-developers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 15 Feb 2014 19:04:55 +0200

Hi all

Antti Karttunen just joined the list at my request. We have been
discussing some kind of network/node management system, where a
network of ELL-i would have knowledge of its topology and configuration.

All in all, Antti is a very multitalented programmer I know from
Helsinki Hacklab as well as Elisa from some fifteen years ago.

How close are we to have working network interface? Anyway we can
and should discuss the generics a bit before jumping to producing
code.

In my view, we should have a two pronged approach on how a ELL-i
network finds itself and determines network health.

First, the nodes should have a means of finding other ELL-i nodes
on an island network that is not connected to any other network.

This can be done with some existing broadcast-response protocol
and works nicely in demo and lab environments. After this probing
phase the nodes should somehow test if the others really are what
they claim to be. I’m suspecting Pekka knows something of this
as his name is attached to some possibly related protocols such
as HIP.

We can make network discovery a bit easier by providing a cloud
service so that a freshly installed node can as its first act
"call home" and be told from that central control of its neighboring
network configuration. After this the nodes can opt-out of central
control and continue working without actual internet connection.

Anyway the ideas have been discussed at times at live meetups
without documenting anything. I’m taking this mail to be a first
step to approach some documented ideas about how our network
configuration is discovered and then later on maintained and
tracked.

 - t