[elky] Re: overheating

  • From: Ray Buck <rbuck@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: elky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2011 09:00:01 -0600

Thanks, Frank. One of the reasons the dude in the video mentioned is at least part of my problem. The damned electric fan has quit working. I dunno why, but all of a sudden (well, after I removed the thermostat and in the process zapped the uninsulated terminal on the alternator) it just won't work...and the thing runs like shit. So. I think I may have taken a fusible link out. I just discovered the fan issue last night, and finally found where the fusible links are, but it hasn't gone any farther than that. I've got a car show this afternoon (and I'm meeting my younger son, wife and granddaughter there) and another one on Sunday. So it'll be a coupla daze before I can deal with it, unless I can break away this evening.

I have my fingers crossed that my printer issues are behind me. I think I've found the correct combination of settings that allow me to print decent 11x14s consistently. And since all the testing I did emptied 1 of the 8 cartridges and put a serious dent in 2 more, I found that the refillable ink system I got also works. I'm ready to put it and the laptop in the Burb and take it to the show this afternoon. Film at 11...or something.

On 7/16/2011 6:45 AM, STILLFRANKSFAULT@xxxxxxx wrote:
http://www.ehow.com/video_4754064_reasons-car-engine-overheating.html
Smokey Mt Frank
In a message dated 7/15/2011 9:11:04 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, johncgg@xxxxxxxxx writes:

    Don't forget to check the timing. Had that happen once, it was a
    lot hotter at certain advance stages.
    Good Luck.
    JC

    On Fri, Jul 15, 2011 at 10:45 AM, Ray Buck <rbuck@xxxxxxxxxxxx
    <mailto:rbuck@xxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

        Yeah, it's really overheating.  I just hadn't driven it enough
        to really observer the symptoms.  When the overflow can starts
        bubbling with boiling water and spewing steam, it's good and
        hot.  Yeah, I've got a pressure cap on it, but I'm leery of it
        because of the radiator with those damned plastic end caps.  I
        can try the water spray thing.  I have a pretty good idea of
        what it'll show.  But that'll have to wait until Sunday.  I've
        gotta finish editing the photos from last week's car show and
        get 'em on the server (a tedious, time-consuming task.)

I'll prolly have a Target 550 update to do today as well. Retirement is hard work. I dunno if you've noticed that,
        Frank, but it sure is for me.

        Ohh...one last thing.  Jim H and I were talking about putting
        an Easy-Up canopy (the one we're gonna use on the salt flats)
        as shade that I could work under since it's hotter'n hell in
        the sun (yeah, Robert, I know yer a lot hotter and you have my
        sympathy.)  Jim suggested that I call the city government to
        make sure there were no problems with it.  I found out that I
        need to get a building permit to put it up.  The guy I talked
        with obviously had no idea what an Easy-Up was, so I sent him
        an email with a picture of one.  He said he couldn't see the
        attachment.  Of course.  I embedded the image in the body of
        the text like I do here.  So I sent him another email with the
        photo attached, rather than embedded.  Of course I haven't
        heard back from him.  But in talking with Jim this morning,
        the idea of bringing a coupla "consumer troubleshooters" to
        the city hall when I go to apply for a building permit seems
like a pretty good way to stick my finger in the city's eye. I'd enjoy that immensely.

        More news as it happens.  :)

        On 7/15/2011 9:06 AM, STILLFRANKSFAULT@xxxxxxx
        <mailto:STILLFRANKSFAULT@xxxxxxx> wrote:
        You would think over heating problems would be a cinch to
        fix. Seams like there are 101 things that show over heating.
        Could be the gage, you seam to  say you notice it overheats
        now that you fixed the gage. Did the engine feel like it was
        over heating? "us" old timers don't need a gage to tell us
        what we see/feel.
          Here's a race track temp cheat, when it shows overheating
        on the gage, lightly spray mist of water over engine. It will
        transfer heat off the block 26 times faster. see if gage
        changes. No cost involved.
        Smokey Mt Frank
        In a message dated 7/15/2011 10:23:55 A.M. Eastern Daylight
        Time, rbuck@xxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:rbuck@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

            In other news, I got the temp gauge working in the Camaro
and sorta wish I hadn't. Sumbitch overheats like crazy. I removed the thermostat (a major project in itself...my
            hands are cut to ribbons) and it still overheats.  Today
            I'll remove the A/C condenser and see if that's blocking
            air flow to the radiator as well as see if there's a way
            to keep the electric fan running all the time.