[elky] Re: no tire kickers yet for Clustertruck :)

  • From: Mary McCarthy <printces@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: elky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 03 Sep 2011 09:08:37 -0700

it's not the body style that turns folks off, Saul. It's the lack of engine and the perception that it is heavy, therefore slooooowwww.

Because so much became plastic in those years, it's not much heavier than the previous years, but try telling someone that. Throw in air pollution insanity and no one wants to deal with them.

It'll sell. We bought ours to take the trash to the dump. Try marketing it as utility, not classic?

Mary

Brought my son to a high school football game tonight, and there was a '76 GMC Sprint for sale in the parking lot. It was black, not much rust except surface rust in bed, body fair with numerous scratches and dents, and some sort of tube welded to the bed (looked like it was supposed to hold up a large flag or some other upright poll). Kid was asking $2000, which I seriously doubt he'll get based on my limited experience of trying to sell a similar car :)

I really have gotten to like this unique body style for the '73-'77. I look on ebay and at any given time there will be approximately 100 El Caminos for sale, with only 4 or 5 of them being 4th gens. I guess that's what I like about them...they're definitely different from the rest. But anyway, I have to remember that my tastes are different from the general public. I think I posted earlier this year that I looked at a '72 that was not much better than mine, except had red paint thrown over the rust on the car. That truck sold for $3600.

Anyway, I'm not stressed about this at all...just felt like typing a little. I finally re-listed the Sprint on craigslist and if someone has tastes like mine, they can buy a classic 4th-gen for much cheaper than the black '76 at the football game tonight :)

Here's my ad re-posted, except now asking $700 (first ad was for $950, and mentioned a driver's window problem that has since been fixed.)

http://wichita.craigslist.org/cto/2579238746.html

I think for anything below $500, I'd rather keep the truck even though it's a bulky eyesore in my overcrowded driveway. It's nice to have a "practice vehicle" for repairs, and a driveable parts car, and a truck that I'm not worried about scratching the paint.

Saul
'76 GMC Sprint
'73 GMC Sprint "Clustertruck"