[elky] no tire kickers yet for Clustertruck :)

  • From: Saul Marsh <saulmarsh72@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "elky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <elky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2011 20:47:10 -0700 (PDT)

Brought my son to a high school football game tonight, and there was a '76 GMC
Sprint for sale in the parking lot.  It was black, not much rust except surface
rust in bed, body fair with numerous scratches and dents, and some sort of tube
welded to the bed (looked like it was supposed to hold up a large flag or some
other upright poll).  Kid was asking $2000, which I seriously doubt he'll get
based on my limited experience of trying to sell a similar car :)

I really have gotten to like this unique body style for the '73-'77.  I look on
ebay and at any given time there will be approximately 100 El Caminos for sale,
with only 4 or 5 of them being 4th gens.  I guess that's what I like about
them...they're definitely different from the rest.  But anyway, I have to
remember that my tastes are different from the general public.  I think I
posted earlier this year that I looked at a '72 that was not much better than
mine, except had red paint thrown over the rust on the car.  That truck sold
for $3600.

Anyway, I'm not stressed about this at all...just felt like typing a little.  I
finally re-listed the Sprint on craigslist and if someone has tastes like mine,
they can buy a classic 4th-gen for much cheaper than the black '76 at the
football game tonight :)

Here's my ad re-posted, except now asking $700 (first ad was for $950, and
mentioned a driver's window problem that has since been fixed.)

http://wichita.craigslist.org/cto/2579238746.html

I think for anything below $500, I'd rather keep the truck even though it's a
bulky eyesore in my overcrowded driveway.  It's nice to have a "practice
vehicle" for repairs, and a driveable parts car, and a truck that I'm not
worried about scratching the paint.

Saul
'76 GMC Sprint
'73 GMC Sprint "Clustertruck"