[elky] Re: bumper jacks

  • From: Ray Buck <rbuck@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: elky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2011 09:34:14 -0600

AAA card is worth its weight in gold (even if it doesn't weigh much.) I don't wanna be caught without one...ever.

On 7/19/2011 12:15 PM, Mary McCarthy wrote:
No, Sprint didn't come with a jack. BUT I think I know why - Sprint weighs somewhere in the neighborhood of 5000 lbs and all you get is a cheesy bumper jack. Kinda like the bear in the front yard and the .22, ya know? I figure when the time comes he'll get a serious jack to go with his AAA card, new shoes and can of Fix-a-Flat.

Good luck with the AC.  You'll be needing that.

Mary

Just a little thought here, but how many of you still have your original bumper jack? Both my '76 and my '73 did not have the jack present when I bought them. Fortunately I bought one off ebay a few years ago so it is now stowed in my '76. Also, I don't remember if I mentioned it, but there was another '76 El Camino Classic that I test drove before I bought my Sprint. It was almost as nice, and about the same price. Big points for the fact that the seller was local and ran a repair shop. And it had a topper, which I consider a plus. Anyway, I went and talked to the guy again today and he's really nice. Didn't mind that I passed on his Elky, and would be willing to rebuild the VIR for the A/C in my Sprint if I decide to do that. I might get that done here soon. My A/C works, but is not "ice cold" like the seller mentioned. I test-drove my '76 Sprint on an unseasonably cool 60-degree overcast day, and it seemed to work great back then. That's all I got for now. Oh, and I'm getting lots of compliments on the '76 Sprint. I think the same amount of comments as if I'd bought a more collectible car for twice the price :)
Saul
'76 GMC Sprint
'73 GMC Sprint "Clustertruck"