[elky] Re: Way off topic...but sorta scientific: water pressure and flow

  • From: Mary McCarthy <printces@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: elky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2010 09:27:00 -0800

I think what you are seeing is gravity systems. Usually it's way too expensive to pump things uphill, so the water tower goes at the highest point, sewer facilities at the lowest. It's about cost, not efficiency.

I doubt it makes much difference in pressure based on height, but I do not know. You might try asking a local water or sewer utility?

I'd choose whatever is easiest and cheapest because it appears the difference is minimal.

Mary
Fluid pressure. Does the pressure behind a fluid increase with the height of its storage reservoir? I see lots of cities' water reservoirs in huge tanks 100 or so feet off the ground. Is this better than...say 20 feet higher than the highest point in the town? If this is a law of physics, I don't know it...and don't think I ever investigated this area before.

Here's the deal. We wanna test some fluid (we're gonna use colored water) flowing thru a clear plastic pipe and I came up with one design, my partner with another. His plan was to have 2 55 gallon drums mounted on a level surface and "push" the fluid thru the tube with a sump pump and catch it in the other. The pump pressure/volume is unknown at this time.

My plan was to mount the reservoir drum...say...6-10 feet higher than the pipe and use a valve to control the flow into the pipe which would exit into the catch drum; then use the sump pump to replenish the reservoir drum.

Is there any outstanding merit or disadvantage to either system (apart from the fact that his way is easier to construct?)

Thanks,