[elky] Vintage Drum rehab

  • From: John Christensen <johncgg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Rat Pack <ratpack@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, El Camino List <elky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2010 09:54:30 -0500

Nate took me to the Guitar Center, and I was playing on some different drum
sets the other day. When I was on a walk, I go to thinking about this hot
rod Snare drum I have. Back in the '80's, I got a 10" deep marching snare
from a friend for $10. I chopped it 2" to 8" (the popular depth at the
time). I sprayed it with some off the shelf Krylon, and it looked like hell.
It is a "WFL" (William F. Ludwig, before they started using just the Ludwig
name in the 50's). It looks pretty rough now, but Nate suggested flat black.
I want something that will kind of go with the set, so I came up with a
sunburst, satin finish, black on the outside with the rough adhesive primer
stained wood in the center, with a little added color to try and get closer
to the mahogany of the rest of the set.

I have a picture attached of the set, and my idea for the drum.

I am thinking I'll stain the whole thing, build up a few coats of clear,
then put on the black, and some more clear. This should give it some depth,
and if I totally screw up the black, I can sand it off. I have a spray gun
for auto paint that belonged to my late Father in law, but I have never used
it.

Any ideas on what paint would be best?

Before I start on the paint, the inside is going to get a treatment of
fiberglass layers to give the sound a boost. These days, 9 ply hardwood
shells give a much more powerful sound. This one is thin Birch on the
outside, a thick layer of spruce in the center, and mahogany on the inside.
My other Ludwig drums (1965-67) are inside out to this.

That is in case I run out of work to do today. I have 3 CAD designs....
maybe 4, and 3 wax models (all of which could take all day by themselves). I
have to swap out the rebuilt master cylinder on the Monte, it's leaking on
the booster, and only a few months old. They are going to swap me out at the
parts store. Still.... it all takes time.

JC

133d0d2310
133d0d2310