[elky] Re: Update on the Canon lens repair nightmare (final edition, I hope)

  • From: Ray Buck <rbuck@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: elky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 23 Jan 2010 07:05:11 -0700

Here ya go.  The pdf manual file is here:
http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&tabact=DownloadDetailTabAct&fcategoryid=314&modelid=11154

At 06:15 AM 1/23/2010, you wrote:
Bummer. Working too much to write a lot these days.

I got a kit to clean my Rebel XT sensor, but haven't had time to figure out how. Is there a way to hold the shutter open? Anybody got the procedure online?

Thanks,
JC

On Fri, Jan 22, 2010 at 9:32 PM, Ray Buck <<mailto:rbuck@xxxxxxxxxxxx>rbuck@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote: Amazon refunded the amount that Canon charged me after I mentioned that I could add their name to the nasty-gram review of the lens. So I got my money back, but I'm still pissed at Canon. That's a pity, too, cuz I've been a very loyal Canon customer and while I probably won't go over to the dark side (Nikon,) they've given themselves a real black eye that they could have avoided by waiving a $100 charge. I'm still not through adding negative reviews on that lens and Canon's piss-poor attitude wherever I can.

For those who aren't aware of this issue, I had a 3 month old $600 Canon 18-200mm f3.5-5.6 IS EF-S lens suffer a broken lens lock. I sent it to Canon for warranty repair.

I got exactly nowhere with the Canon service center. I finally caved in and paid the $100 ransom to get it fixed because I need that lens.

Their standard line is: "we don't warranty broken parts." That's a verbatim quote from one of the gatekeepers I talked to. Another line they used is, "the warranty only covers factory defects." Well, if the design of that lens lock part isn't a factory defect, I don't know what is.

So: I suggest that if anyone is considering the 18-200mm EF-S lens, fuggedaboudit. Furthermore, I'd suggest that any Canon lens be carefully examined to ensure that it doesn't have the same style of lens lock. I wouldn't buy one with that style.

I'm very displeased with Canon. I love their cameras, and most of their products are good. But this particular issue has left them with a black eye that, in my opinion, could have been avoided very easily.

Here's the review I put on <http://amazon.com>amazon.com:
http://www.amazon.com/review/R24DWL3BGIV66T/ref=cm_cr_pr_viewpnt#R24DWL3BGIV66T

I'm gonna go looking for some other places to disparage their name.

RtR