[elky] Re: Ugly weather

  • From: Mary McCarthy <printces@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: elky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2010 13:44:29 -0800

Back out to work on the laundry room. More pics to come. Here is the latest one though. http://s97.photobucket.com/albums/l206/elcam84/new%20house/?action=view&current=028.jpg <http://s97.photobucket.com/albums/l206/elcam84/new%20house/?action=view&current=028.jpg>

looks real good! Is there a reason you didn't use joist hangers? Just wondering. Having just mopped up a puddle from Mr. Washing machine, are you going to put a pan under yours? 7/8 is pretty thick for a floor. More than you would get today. Think I'd measure how thick the floor needs to be to be level with the rest of the house (taking into account the tile), then divide by two and put one layer north/south and the other east/west. All the weight is under the washing machine, the rest is just light use so you could probably reinforce just under there, maybe sister a joist onto another? I wouldn't worry too much about it - houses don't have bomb shelters anymore.

Can't help on the weather thing - here is rainy, high 30's to 40's with an occasional snow dusting. Little hail, too. A windstorm last Friday night knocked out the power (Ellie stumbled around in the dark the whole time) but only brought down a lot of limbs, no trees or damage. Typical for December.

Mary

I have a half sheet already installed in that corner. As you can see I also add blocking between the joists and up against the rim joist. This just makes it a little stronger and gives more support to the wall above it. The floor is pretty stiff as is but I may add another layer of 1/2" before the 1/4" hardi board and tile. The 3/4 is under the walls and I may run the 1/2" under them as well and shorten the wall a little (the studs are too long at 94.5 anyway). Been debating how I want to do the floors as in how thick. The kitchen is planned to be solid wood. The house has 7/8 tongue and groove for it's base subfloor which is hard to equal up to these days and most of the house has 3/4 and some places have another 1/4" underlayment. goofy