[elky] Re: That "w" word

  • From: "Mary McCarthy" <printces@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <elky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Oct 2009 11:23:52 -0700

It is rainy today and temps have cooled here in SW WA. I've heard the snow level dropped down to where St. Helen and Hood do have snow, but one cannot see through the clouds. It's in the 50's, but mornings have been down into the 40's. Weather is still trying to make up its' mind - sunny one minute, rainy the next. Although we are very happy to see rain - we have not been able to even light the fire pit on the patio for months, never mind burning anything. Trees have just barely started to show color, which is very late. Our train scheduled this weekend for the fall leaf viewing ride but they are pretty much still green. Very late fall. Hopefully winter will be as hot (relatively speaking) as summer was. We broke a lot of high temp records.

You have very pretty mts. in your area, Ray. We drove through some of them driving out here. There's a cut-off on the east side of town that goes NW from I 80 (or possibly I 70 even, we dipped pretty far south to avoid a blizzard) to something heading north, and it was snowy going through that canyon. Your mountains are considerable more vertical, and 'craggy' than the Cascades.

rush is on around here to get ready for winter and finish up summer projects. Never heard that about sunflowers. I always find those local lore things fascinating.

And, I too, look forward to getting back to indoor things.

Mary

Here's a shot of the mountains looking down my street (Taylorsville,
Ut.)  The snow level is around 5000 feet, give or take a few.  (I'm
at 4200.)  The photo shows a hazy condition, which is exactly what we
got.  And the deciduous trees are still very green.  All we need is a
cold, wet front to move from the northwest to the southeast across
the Great Salt Lake and it's lake effect time.  Just what we
need.  But it's happened before, and much earlier than this.

The temperature was 36F when I shot the photo, around 8 am
Thursday.  (Where did the week go?)

World Finals on the salt is a week away.  Supposedly the storm that
dumped this on us (and is still piddling here and there) missed the
salt flats.   At least that's what the SCTA Prez sed.

But there's another storm coming in Saturday nite and continuing thru
Tuesday.  I've made plans (and motel reservations) for WF on
Wednesday the 6th thru the 10th.  It's gonna be interesting.

I'm predicting a long, cold and snowy winter based on the number and
height of sunflowers over the past few months.  There's a bumper crop
of very tall plants and has been since late July.  According to some
Indian folklore, the more/bigger the sunflowers are, the harsher the
winter.  Can't say as I like it, but it'll give me time to get back
into music again.

Usually we have a lousy spring and a very nice long autumn.  This
year spring was non-existent.  We went from late winter right into
summer.  That happened some time in June.  One day it was 40-ish and
raining, the next it was sunny and around 90.  Last week I was
sweating my butt of on the salt with temps in the high 80s and low
90s and yesterday when I went out to get some photos printed, it was
in the 30s and the wind was bitterly cold...and there were some snow
grains/pellets (graupel as my friend Jim calls it:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graupel ) falling, mixed with rain.

I don't like this at all.  But then again, I've missed the music.

Ray