[elky] That "w" word

  • From: Ray Buck <rbuck@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: elky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 01 Oct 2009 08:45:21 -0600

Here's a shot of the mountains looking down my street (Taylorsville, Ut.) The snow level is around 5000 feet, give or take a few. (I'm at 4200.) The photo shows a hazy condition, which is exactly what we got. And the deciduous trees are still very green. All we need is a cold, wet front to move from the northwest to the southeast across the Great Salt Lake and it's lake effect time. Just what we need. But it's happened before, and much earlier than this.

The temperature was 36F when I shot the photo, around 8 am Thursday. (Where did the week go?)

World Finals on the salt is a week away. Supposedly the storm that dumped this on us (and is still piddling here and there) missed the salt flats. At least that's what the SCTA Prez sed.

But there's another storm coming in Saturday nite and continuing thru Tuesday. I've made plans (and motel reservations) for WF on Wednesday the 6th thru the 10th. It's gonna be interesting.

I'm predicting a long, cold and snowy winter based on the number and height of sunflowers over the past few months. There's a bumper crop of very tall plants and has been since late July. According to some Indian folklore, the more/bigger the sunflowers are, the harsher the winter. Can't say as I like it, but it'll give me time to get back into music again.

Usually we have a lousy spring and a very nice long autumn. This year spring was non-existent. We went from late winter right into summer. That happened some time in June. One day it was 40-ish and raining, the next it was sunny and around 90. Last week I was sweating my butt of on the salt with temps in the high 80s and low 90s and yesterday when I went out to get some photos printed, it was in the 30s and the wind was bitterly cold...and there were some snow grains/pellets (graupel as my friend Jim calls it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graupel ) falling, mixed with rain.

I don't like this at all.  But then again, I've missed the music.

Ray