[elky] Re: Summer.....

  • From: Robert Adams <elcam84@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: elky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 6 Aug 2011 09:58:10 -0500

              We had no spring rain at all this year. We have had about 1"
of rain this year. The only other moisture was the snow in jan-feb. I just
came in from running the hose on some of the trees. I turn it on full and it
makes a puddle about 3' in diameter and all just soaks right in. One tree in
the back is loosing it's leaves quicker than the others and the tips are
looking bare so it's getting more of the watering. The ones out front are
the bigger ones and they are taking it better but they are the ones I really
can't loose since they are on the south side of the house. So I am flooding
the front yard as the roots should all converge in that area for all of the
trees. The front yard is small but the back yard is big (I prefer it that
way).
                     The yard is starting to look like fall with all the
leaves building up. I keep looking on craigslist for a lawn sweep for the
mower. These trash oaks drop crap year round.

               Yesterday was a little cooler at only 108* but with a couple
days at 110* everything is heat soaked even more. The AC isn't cycling as
much either. Course the neighbors and most around are running from noon to
8pm non stop every day and can only maintain 81*.  In tx you always oversize
your AC no matter what anyone tells you cause the sizing programs use the
wrong temps and humidity for summer to do their calculations.

             Looks like we will continue 86* at night and 108-110* until the
end of august. At 9am it was already 92*. 2pm to 8pm is the hottest part of
the day. It usually hits 100* or more before noon.

             Oh and I have been spraying water on the roof to keep the roof
temps down and the attic temps down a little. The water boils on contact
with the roof. If you get it right you can have a ball of water roll down
the roof in a rolling boil just like in a pot of water. Will get the ladder
out and see what the roof temp is but it has to be well over 200* in the
heat of the day.

                 We are headed out to see a movie as that's the only place
you can go with cold AC. Just like the 20s and 30s... Was hoping to get out
of town this week to anywhere cooler but isn't going to happen. I'm to the
point where I'm pissed all the time cause of the heat. Geri doesn't mind it
like i do cause she is never in it except walking to and from the car, if
she had to work out in it she would be ready to move too.

                   Robert Adams