[elky] Summer....

  • From: Robert Adams <elcam84@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: elky <elky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 9 Jul 2011 08:46:16 -0500

              Well looks like we are in for a record summer. Have already
had 2 months with barely a day below 100* and yesterday was awful... It was
110* here and the dew point was 65*(which means muggy)  The problem is it
doesn't cool off at night. The low last night which was really just before
the sun came up was 80* and to put that in perspective it was still low 90s
after midnight... Everyones AC is running pretty much constantly as AC
systems are sized and designed at 95* outside temp which is a cool day
here.... If the AC does shut off it's only for 10 minutes or so. Ours does
cycle when it's this hot but the neighbors was running from 2:00 till about
8:00 last night and that was only keeping the house at 82. Here even with a
well insulated house you need quite an oversized AC to cool when it gets
this hot. I get out every little bit and soak the roof as well and that does
make a difference. Water sprayed on the roof turning into steam removes
massive amounts of BTUs and what little does run off carries heat with it. I
may get Geri on the roof and have her put a few sprinklers up there.

                  I think I may end up going too much oversize whenever I
put a new system in. I'll go with a two stage so the small compressor will
run on cooler days and the big one will kick in for the summer. Ours now is
a 3 or 3.5 ton (can't remember) and I will go with no less than a 3.5.

                 Oh and did pick up a 24500 BTU window AC at HD for the
shop. Haven't figured out where to put it yet and if the heat keeps up I may
temporarily put it in a window of the house to help keep it cool.

                    If we ever get a cool day in the 90s I'll make a trip to
HD to buy blow in insulation and do the attic as the ceiling gets pretty
warm.

                         Well back to being hot and miserable here and sick
at the same time.