[elky] Robert v. fire

  • From: Mary McCarthy <printces@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: elky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2011 09:10:03 -0700

that time of year, although it does seem early. Stay safe and pay attention, them things move so fast.

Mary
There was a serious grass fire near where I live today.  It's on the other side
of the Beltway, a few miles down the road, and there are lots of places to make
a firebreak, so I don't think any houses will be affected, but this area is
extremely dry.  I saw the helicopter that was doing water drops while I was
flying RC planes at a nearby park.

Here's the story.

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=news/local&id=8190175
http://www.khou.com/news/Wildfire-smoke-prompts-officials-to-shut-down-Beltway-8-feeder-at-Mykawa-123848974.html
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/7610526.html

As of a half hour ago, the Beltway feeder road was still closed.  It was shut
down this afternoon so fire engines could park on it.  The tollway is open and
fees are waived, but I am *very* glad I did not have to be on the Beltway.  It
was backed up solid, because the wind was blowing the smoke over it.

On the way back from dinner, I passed a gas station where four Pearland fire
trucks that had been at the scene were filling up.  Three engines and a booster
(brush truck).

I'm fine, and like I said, this fire won't affect any houses, but I pray some
idiot doesn't flick a cigarette and start another fire that does hurt someone.

I am watering the living daylights out of my lawn.  I just spread fertilizer
and my mission is to keep it damp.  Thankfully my back fence is against a main
road which has an open area (no trees)  beyond it, so wildfire won't be a huge
concern.  I hope...

The county has banned aerial fireworks for the holiday.  They are already
illegal in the city, but I am not in the city, so morons come out here for
their annual bombardment.  Thankfully the county moved preemptively and banned
their sales, so on the rare chance I do see any being fired, I will call the
fire marshal, who can and will give tickets and confiscate.