[elky] Re: Remember the $1995 53 Chevy...

  • From: Mary McCarthy <printces@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: elky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 04 Dec 2010 14:55:52 -0800

uh, I just went over to autotrader.com and they don't seem to have anything older than 1981.

...that appeared to have lost a digit?

I finally got an email from the "seller."

"
Hi,
First of all I want to thank you for your interest for my car.The car is in excellent
working condition, no scratches, flaws or any kind of damage,
slightly used in 100% working with a clear title.
From the begining you have to know that for the payment I request only secure pay, I
prefer the payment to be made using Autotrader services.
We will use a safe payment method because I am affiliated at Autotrader  .
The final price that I want for this car is $2000
including shipping and handling costs.
If you are interested in buying it please provide me your full name and address so I can
initiate the deal through Autotrader .
I will wait your answer(if you are interested to buy) very soon.
Thanks"

I emailed him asking to speak via phone.  This is the answer I got:

"
Hello  ,
The car is already at the shipping company sealed and ready for the
shipping. I have a contract with Autotrader so this deal must go through them. I'm very
busy with my job and I'm left out of the town so I can't meet in person with you so this is
the reason why I chose to sell my car over the internet. According with  the Autotrader you
have 5 days from the time you receive the car to inspect it and decide if you want to keep
it or not.
Here is how it will work:
1.First of all I will need  the following details from you:
- Full Name
- Full Shipping Address
2. After I will receive the details from you, I will forward them to Autotrader
3. After they will process your info, they will send us both invoices. The invoice will
send you the details on how to make a refundable payment.
4. Autotrader will contact me and I will ship the car to you. After you receive the car
you will have 5 days to test, verify and do whatever you need to the car. If you will buy,
then
I will receive the payment details from Autotrader so that I can pick up the money.
5. If you will decide that you will not buy the car,  Autotrader will refund the money and
I will have the shipping company come pick up my car. If you wish to make the transaction,
please send me the necessary info so that we can proceed. I look forward to hear from you.
Thank you"

So I checked Autotrader.  The car is no longer listed.  Hmmm...tried calling Autotrader, but only ended up in "conversant hell."  I'll try again on Monday.  I think "scam" would be appropriate.  I guess I was wrong about an honest mistake.