[elky] Re: Power Steering Pump Leak

  • From: Robert Adams <elcam84@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: elky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2011 18:35:42 -0600

On 3/10/11, John Christensen <johncgg@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 9, 2011 at 8:13 PM, Robert Adams <elcam84@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>>                    There is a bushing in there that wears. It's pretty
>> much
>> the same rebuild kit from the early 60s up till today as they are still
>> being used on a few new vehicles around the world. There is a pump model
>> that has a ball bearing instead of a bushing but it's very rare and
>> somewhat
>> model specific and not really an improvement over the bushing. One of the
>> few things that has kept a bushing over a roller bearing.
>>
>> They asked at the parts store if there was a number on the pump. I'll have
> to look on the old one to see just where. I believe I can take the whole
> driver's side bank off the front of the engine and repair it on the bench,
> rather than trying to do it on the car. It looks like one of the Torx head
> bolts that holds the pump to the housing is behind the pulley. I don't
> remember seeing a hole in the pulley for getting to it, Hmmmmm
>
> I might just take it out, pull the seal and take it in to match to make sure
> I get the right part the first time.
>
> How do you press it back on? Does the shaft back up to the housing so you
> can just put it in a vice or press?

          To pull the pump off by itself you have to pull the pulley
off first. With a PS pulley puller... Then unbolt the two bolts on the
front to the casting.

          To install the hole is threaded so you run a bolt in and a
washer and nut and crank it down till the shaft it flush with the
pulley.

>>                 Gotta go check on My Little buddy. He has been puking and
>> not feeling good. Geri got meow mix instead of purina cat chow. Meow mix
>> is
>> not good for anything but fertilizer. I went out and got a small bag of
>> cat
>> chow until I get to Sams tomorrow to get the big bag. $4 for a little bag
>> and it's $10 for the really big one at sams... I don't see why anyone buys
>> petfood at wallyworld(on a regular basis)
>>

>>                         Robert Adams
>>

> I'll have to ask what our cats eat, but Axel is 16 or 18 now, so it's the
> good stuff. Stay away from anything with Corn in it.

            Yeah. I have always bought purina cat chow but she wanted
the other and...  I picked up a small bag last night.