[elky] Re: Playing with the new welder.

  • From: STILLFRANKSFAULT@xxxxxxx
  • To: elky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2011 07:15:03 -0400 (EDT)

good detail, send a shot of the welder. (the machine)

Smokey Mt Frank

In a message dated 9/22/2011 9:18:28 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
johncgg@xxxxxxxxx writes:

I got  some heavier flux core wire for the new welder to tackle the frame
rot on the  Elky. For Jim C..... I am changing the body mount bushings. See_
this page_ (http://www.myelcamino.net/elcamino_new.htm#body_mounts) .

I tried out the  welder last night, after getting some .035 flux core wire.
This doesn't use  the gas, but works on a lot heavier metal. My first
attempt was pretty lame.  Then I figured out that the polarity has to be
reversed
to use the flux core  wire. In this picture was the first try, and then
with the polarity issue  corrected. That time was not so bad, with a lot less
splatter. I am hoping  that 30 years of welding gold, silver, and platinum
will pay off when I  finally get down to working on steel.

If you _enlarge the picture_
(http://www.myelcamino.net/ec/welding_first.jpg) ,  you will see that there is
quite a bit of plating that has to be
ground off  these washers to make the weld stick.

I also got the bushings I  need to finish the job, So I have to clean off
the plating on the washers,  grind the frame at point of contact, and get the
washer welded in on the  driver's side, bolt them down loosely, then I can
move on to the passenger  side. The frame is not near as bad over there, but
I will be reinforcing it  just the same. I also have a spot on the back
left near where the control arm  bolts up that needs to be cut and patched.
That will be next. I might even try  a little exhaust patching once I get the
gas bottle for the MIG.

Progress will be made soon!
John  Christensen
1984 El Camino "Elkenstein" 350 TBI