[elky] Playing with the new welder.

  • From: John Christensen <johncgg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: El Camino List <elky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Tom Straiker <tmstraiker@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Jim Christensen <jeweler63@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2011 20:17:54 -0500

I got some heavier flux core wire for the new welder to tackle the frame rot
on the Elky. For Jim C..... I am changing the body mount bushings. See this
page <http://www.myelcamino.net/elcamino_new.htm#body_mounts>.

I tried out the welder last night, after getting some .035 flux core wire.
This doesn't use the gas, but works on a lot heavier metal. My first attempt
was pretty lame. Then I figured out that the polarity has to be reversed to
use the flux core wire. In this picture was the first try, and then with the
polarity issue corrected. That time was not so bad, with a lot less
splatter. I am hoping that 30 years of welding gold, silver, and platinum
will pay off when I finally get down to working on steel.

If you enlarge the picture <http://www.myelcamino.net/ec/welding_first.jpg>,
you will see that there is quite a bit of plating that has to be ground off
these washers to make the weld stick.

I also got the bushings I need to finish the job, So I have to clean off the
plating on the washers, grind the frame at point of contact, and get the
washer welded in on the driver's side, bolt them down loosely, then I can
move on to the passenger side. The frame is not near as bad over there, but
I will be reinforcing it just the same. I also have a spot on the back left
near where the control arm bolts up that needs to be cut and patched. That
will be next. I might even try a little exhaust patching once I get the gas
bottle for the MIG.

Progress will be made soon!
1984 El Camino "Elkenstein" 350 TBI
NECOA #042 http://www.myelcamino.net