[elky] Re: OT: UK's cash for clunkers

  • From: Mary McCarthy <printces@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: elky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 06 Apr 2010 12:05:44 -0700

fascinating.  You know, at the time, seeing that some of the clunkers were relatively new and looked pretty good, I wondered why the gov't didn't turn them around by getting some real clunkers off the road and into the hands of folks who could not afford to buy a new car.  In other words, replace a real clunker with a semi-inefficient one.  And give some family a step up towards a better life.  Instead they spent the money to crush them.

and didja know purchasers of the new cars were supposed to get the fee the dealer was getting from the gov't for the value of the clunker?  Most dealers kept it.

and so it goes.

Mary

>From www.autopedia.org

About 14,000 British Cash For Clunker vehicles sit on a UK airfield, awaiting the final destruction via compactor. This parking job reminds us of the Scarlett Letter – and much like that character these unused, poor fuel economy vehicles await their inevitable demolition.
--
Sent from my Dreadnought using that barely tolerable Thunderbird email program