[elky] Re: [OT] Backup: Mirror or File by File

  • From: Aren Cambre <aren@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: elky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 6 Aug 2009 08:46:16 -0500

I have an old XP laptop with a 750GB USB hard drive. I have about 82 GB of
data backed up on Mozy. I maintain cached copies of portions of those files
on my newer laptop with Vista's Offline Files feature. When the old laptop
is off or unavailable (e.g., I am not at home), I can still access the
cached files just as if they were shared on the laptop.

It is very, very difficult for a home user to do daily incremental backups,
daily ship all backups outside one's home, and have enterprise-standard
redundancy. Having one spare USB hard drive is not an effective backup
strategy.

BTW, I use SyncToy to push a backup of my work-related laptop files to my
work PC. Nice utility. Upgrading to Windows 7 tomorrow--SMU can get the RTM
then--so I'll be using it today to refresh my backup.

Aren