[elky] Re: Monte - Lockup

  • From: Robert Adams <elcam84@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: elky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 4 Dec 2010 19:50:34 -0600

                    Well you don't have the valve body controlled lockup. I
have never heard anything say anything about removing a spring in the tcc
valve train. Just one valve and it's a long spool valve in the valve body
which the TCC solenoid goes up against.

                  As for the solenoid the TCC is a two wire on your Monte.

                           If it feels like it's locking up press the brake
just enough to get the brake lights to come on. This will cut power to the
solenoid. If it's still locked up then there is something wrong internally.
Either a bad TCC solenoid worn TCC valve etc.

                          With any TCC not unlocking with a 2004r you can
first try to replace the solenoid. If the problem is still there then the
TCC valve bore is worn and the solenoid can't exhaust enough fluid and some
of it ends up going to the TCC and causing it to lockup. Worn TCC valves are
very common on 2004rs and 700r4s. There is a replacement valve with a teflon
seal that fixes it. I think I still have one. Often a new TCC solenoid
bandaids the problem because it is made to exhaust more fluid than the stock
one.

                      So... Many times the stock solenoid works just fine
it's actually the valve leaking too much fluid and the new design solenoid
fixes it (sort of).

                  Robert Adams