[elky] Monte - Lockup

  • From: John Christensen <johncgg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: El Camino List <elky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Tom Straiker <tmstraiker@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 4 Dec 2010 19:32:26 -0600

Chris sent the lockup kit for the Monte and I installed it today. Tom came
over and we took it for a test drive.

At first it seemed to work as advertised. It locked up at the speed when the
red LED turned to green. After driving a bit, and coming to a stop, it
seemed to stay locked up. Then it was jumping in and out of lock. Even at
2nd and third gear. Something isn't right with it. There is an on/off switch
on the unit. Pushing that to off didn't unlock it. What was odd, was that it
would be unlocked, then lock in the lower gear. So it isn't stuck on, it is
getting a completed circuit somehow, when it is not intended.

I am thinking there are several things that could be causing this. In the
instructions, it talks about a spring that needs to be removed in the valve
body. This is for early models (before 89) that have the valve body
controlled lock up. Anyone know about this? In the text, it mentions: Custom
transmissioninstallations utilizing early models with valve body controlled
lockup speed may requite some modification to operate correctly. locate the
converter clutch valve train in the valve boday. Deactivate the converter
clutch shift valve by trmoving the spring holding the valve train in the OFF
position. This will allow the converter clutch shift valve to move to the ON
position, and ensure that control pressure is always available at the
converter clutch apply valve after the first gear shift. It may also be
necessary to remove the pan to identify which kind of solenoid and wiring
sceme is used on your particular unit.

It also says there are 2 types of solenoids, one wire and 2 wire. The one
wire needs only the + to go to the pin A. Where A is + and D is ground (I
grounded the D pin). So maybe if i lift the ground on the case, it will
work. Looks like I need to get in the pan to find out. I may have a picture
of it when it was open and upside down on the bench. I'll have to check.

I spoke to Ray on the phone, and he was suggesting that the 4th gear switch
internally could be a type that is either normally open, or normally closed.
Because the kit has a wire on the 4 pin connector that goes to a ground on
the case, I am wondering if that is a conflict, and may be causing it to
engage in the lower gears. I haven't tried it without the ground wire hooked
up.

I was unable to get together with B&M tech support. It's Monday through
Friday. Next stop is the tech support on the web site. Tom offerd the lift
at the school on Sunday, but I want to research it before tearing in to the
pan.

At least I know the lockup works. I don't think it is sticking, because it
is sort of randomly engaging in 2nd and third when it has already
disengaged. It is also locking with the LED showing red. So Ray may have
something there on the grounding conflict.

Just wanted to run this past everyone. I have wired the same kit on the 350C
of the El Camino before going back to computer control, and it worked
flawlessly for years. I have a feeling it is the ground on the case, or the
spring in the valve body. I'll get it sorted out eventually.

That was the automotive therapy for today.

1984 El Camino "Elkenstein" 350 TBI
NECOA #042 http://www.myelcamino.net