[elky] Monte Carlo interim report. Not running yet, but closer.

  • From: Ray Buck <rbuck@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: elky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2011 14:54:12 -0600

Interim report. The PS hose took about 12 times longer than it should have cuz I had to go buy 16mm sockets, then break the old line, then fight with it to the death to get things back together. In the meantime Jim had to go pick up MaryAnn cuz her car's in the shop and he's headin back here while I take a break. Both Burb and Camaro are much better now, although I came inside after getting the hose changed and looked at myself in the mirror. I looked like a WV coal miner. Face as black as coal with a little white around the eyes, nose and mouth. If I'd been in a vaudeville show, I woulda got down on my knees and sang, "Mammy." (For those who are too young to get that, google Al Jolson.)

We gave the Monte Carlo a quick, "hold my (root) beer and watch this" and spit a few flames thru the carb...no harm, no foul. We left it like that. We're gonna double-check the fuel pressure regulator and the valve lash settings before giving it another shot. BUT...I ccould definitely hear good exhaust noises coming from the left-side header (right under my feet) and I'm not sure about the other bank, cuz it sounded like WWIII happening on my side. If the Demon carb gives me too much trouble, I may see if I can scrape a few shekels together and buy and Edelbrock 750. That's the backup plan, since I'm an absolute noob to double-pumpers.

More to come.  Stay tuned.

On 7/29/2011 11:39 AM, Chris Lindh wrote:
Everything is crossed. Double check your checklist... fluids, timing, etc.