[elky] Re: Mirror theft

  • From: Robert Adams <ladams21@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: elky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2009 14:55:00 -0500

Yesterday, my mother went out to eat, and while she was in the restaurant
(Blackeyed Pea in what at least used to be a good part of town), the glass
from her passenger-side mirror was stolen.  The vehicle is a 2005
Chevrolet Tahoe.  The lowlife ripped the glass out, then folded the mirror
in, apparently thinking she wouldn't notice.

She stopped at the dealership on the way home, and the service guy (one
she's dealt with before, seems to be a competent guy) said that this is
rampant, and that he's surprised that they didn't take both mirrors.  He
said he thinks the person was spooked before he could get to the driver's
side and ran off.

The service guy also said that he had a customer who'd had a new Camaro
for one day before someone stole the wheels from it.

I can sorta understand the wheels, but a mirror?  The economy must be
driving the black market to do some very weird things.  I don't understand
how just the mirror glass is in demand.  It may be that I don't drive
drunk and don't run my mirrors into things (OK, so there was the *one*
incident with the garage door frame, but that was caused by exhaustion and
not intoxication).

Well a new mirror assm for it from GM is nearly $400.... Also if your heated mirror ever gets cracked take it out that second. There is an oil in the glass for spreading the heat and it will permanently stain the paint. Happened to my neighbors 04, bad part is it's white so it looks even dirtier. The oil looks green but leaves a red stain.

Of note is that the Blackeyed Pea shares part of a parking lot with a
Sam's Club, which for some reason always has large trucks in it.  I used
to work at a Sears Hardware that shares the same lot, and a coworker once
saw one of the trucks park, the back doors open, and several hispanic
people run out.  I've pretty much made it policy not to go to that area
(Aren, I'm talking about the Fuqua/I-45 intersection).

         Not surprising for there...

My Civic is a hot commodity, stolen-car wise, and I make sure to sanitize
it - not leaving GPS, XM radio, etc. in sight.  I'm now glad I have the LX
model with steel wheels and full plastic covers instead of the EX model
with alloy wheels.  If I put Monte Carlo alloy wheels on the El Camino,
I'm definitely going to get locks.

Funny that the only cars really using steel wheels anymore are imports... But you haven't priced hubcaps... I am missing one for the wagon and they are really pricey even though they are in no demand. They run $40+ for a decent one. I can almost get cheap aftermarket alum wheels for that...