[elky] Re: I call this a GOOD picture!

  • From: Ray Buck <rbuck@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: elky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2010 08:27:26 -0600

 Thanks for the happies.  :)

Things looked a little better under the hood after we pressure washed it. (Irony dept: the photo number is 700r8...not a new transmission, just a coincidence <G>) Last week (before the battle of the ALMS) we removed all the old gunky brake fluid, flushed the lines and filled with new. We ended up putting the Mity-Vac to good use to get the rears bled. There was a ton of air in the lines when we got thru blowin 'em out. (A ton of air? Heavy air or light air???)

I guess the next step is getting the new spark plugs in and the ignition wires connected. There's a whole list of things, but we're workin on 'em. I just got thinkin that with the height of the Demon carb, the spacer AND the cold air box ( http://www.chevyasylum.com/85monte/85Monte-608r8.jpg ) I may need to get a cowl-induction hood...or one with a Corvette-type hump on it. When the UBT delivers the spacer, we'll see where we are.

We also need to get the cooling system functional (like so it'll hold water and water wetter) and the electric fan installed and working. Then comes the fuel line to the carb, throttle and TV cable linkage. Then we might be able to fire it up with open headers. (Talk about WWIII in the garage....) At that time we'll make a decision about the possibility of running it on the salt this year....Jeeze! There's only 32 days before Speed Week. But we won't try to run it at that event, we'll try to make World of Speed and run it in the 130 mph Club. That event starts on September 15...only 64 days away. Maybe, maybe not. We'll have to see.

The other photo is a steering box for Rufus. Freud sent it to me. It seems that he was able to swap it out with another guy's Model A...but this one has a much slower ratio...and results in MUCH easier steering. If you've ever driven a Model A before, you know that it has about 3/4 turn, lock-to-lock and is hard as hell to steer. This new one (E-Z Steer) is advertised as being, "just like power steering." Or something to that effect. That would be nice but the real deal is that it will reduce the slop in the front end which was enough to throw a coupla cats thru. Over a quarter turn free play. Not good.

Rufus may have a new brother, too. The A-bone that the steering box came from is a project car that someone gave up on. 4-dr sedan missing its fenders, running boards and seats. But real cheap. I'm thinking it could be the crew vehicle. I just looked into replacement fenders and running boards and they (along with a rebuilt steering box) could be had for about $1400...about the same price as for the rest of the car. Hmmm....I spose it'd be kinda tacky to call him Rastus....but...well, just but. :)

If last weekend's poster sales go well...ya never know.

On 7/13/2010 6:11 AM, John Christensen wrote:
I used a wood spacer on the Elky before going to fuel injection, and it really works for the heat soak, and gave a little bump in torque, from what the seat of the pants meter could measure.

I sure am glad to see you working on the Monte again!
JC

On Mon, Jul 12, 2010 at 10:24 PM, Ray Buck <rbuck@xxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:rbuck@xxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    LOL!  I have all the lens I can afford.  I looked into the Canon
    1.4 and 3x extenders and found that they have some serious issues
    with autofocus (just as the Tamron does) so I'm gonna save my $300
    and buy some hot rod parts for the Monte Carlo with the idea of
    running it on the salt.  I ordered a 1 inch phenolic spacer to get
    the Demon carb up a bit higher so the linkage and vacuum lines
    will clear...and it'll help eliminate heat soak from the manifold
    to the carb, too.

    Sent from my Dreadnought using that barely tolerable Thunderbird email
program

    On 7/12/2010 9:11 PM, STILLFRANKSFAULT@xxxxxxx
    <mailto:STILLFRANKSFAULT@xxxxxxx> wrote:
    Your doing just fine, you don't have to keep up with the Jones.
    Don't get caught up in "lens envy."
    Smoky Mt. Frank
    In a message dated 7/12/2010 6:08:52 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
    rbuck@xxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:rbuck@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

        As far as the photo goes, there was one other "little guy" at
        the Turn 1 photo stand.  He had a Canon Rebel and a Sigma
        120-300 lens (I was using my 100-400...no extender...its
        flaky operation has convinced me to put it up for sale...I
        may try a Canon 2X converter for stuff like that) and all the
        other "big fish" had 600mm f4 lenses (MSRP $9300) and larger
        (800mm f5.6 MSRP $12k)...undoubtedly paid for by their
        corporate backers.  He and I were sorta like those who had
        brought knives to a gunfight.