[elky] Re: Heat Control

  • From: Jared Ryan <jryan@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: elky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2010 10:52:25 -0500

Well, Rock Auto accepted my order, so we'll see if the new one is still
available.  If so, I'll let someone use either it or my old one to make a mold.
 I imagine there's a little money to be made by producing some and selling
them, because it isn't an unusual part to break.  Plastic gets brittle as it
ages.

I checked my fixed lever this morning, and it will be fine.  What I did, is on
the top there is a deep groove, and I lay a thin piece of brass shim in that
groove, and lay a thin layer of epoxy between the metal and the plastic, and
then over the metal.  30-minute epoxy is much stronger than 5-minute when it
cures.  I found I could lay the part top-down on a piece of wax paper and it
held it in place.  This morning, I couldn't see the crack between the two
pieces, and wax paper peels easily off of epoxy.