[elky] Re: Garage Shelving

  • From: "Mary McCarthy" <printces@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <elky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 26 Jul 2009 15:51:01 -0700

This is my first post and we'll see how it goes (IF it goes) Notice I took the opportunity to change my id.

We have a place in Portland called City Liquidators. They buy/sell used office/store/school equipment. You never know what you'll find. You might look for something like that near you.

We had an assortment of old metal shelving bought over the years and I've painted them to match. They are fairly deep. Had some shallower ones and didn't move them, the deep ones hold more in pretty much the same space. I also put all the parts in bins (from lowes and HD) and line them up under the garbage cans in the garage and on the shelves. They stack good, too. Just make labels for the fronts. And you can color code them. Red ones are shop, gray or black is garage, company is blue. And we have on green one that is Sprints. (elky content).

Storage is always a tough one. Some stuff you want next week, some you'll never look at again unless - of course - you throw it out, then you'll need it.

Mary

After helping clean out my stepfathers fathers shop I've realized I
want my shop to be less of a hodge podge of shelving, lighting, etc.
Our house came with a section of double sided shelves like you would
see in a small retail store.  I promptly filled that up with El
Camino, Malibu, Chevelle and Volvo parts, not too mention tools and
other random items.  Now I need to add more shelving for the parts
business inventory.

I'd like to line a couple walls with shelving that is sturdy and not
too deep.  One solution I looked at is 2x4Basics 16" shelf links:

http://www.2x4basics.com/Shelf-Links.asp

The nice part is the dimensions can be changed to fit the space, but
16" may be a bit shallow for some of the parts I'll be stocking.
Eventually my parts storage will be in a warehouse but for the moment
I'm keeping overhead as low as possible.

I'm watching Craig's list since I know there are plenty of businesses
selling off shelving... just wondered if you guys had any ideas...

Thanks!
Chris