[elky] Re: Fwd: YOU MIGHT THINK "JUST WATCHING" IS SAFE

  • From: Ray Buck <rbuck@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: elky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 05 Aug 2011 18:14:44 -0600

I saw that "live" and it was terrifying...but it wasn't as bad as the other Audi crash in the middle of the night.  Mike Rockenfeller was overtaking a Ferrari on the right side and dropped 2 wheels off the track and onto the grass/dirt as the Ferrari moved over into his left side.  That spun him 90 degrees to his left and into the armco head-on.  The French video teams don't work at night (I spose they need their government-guaranteed bottle of vin ordinaire every few hours) and the only video initially came from an on-board shot and a fixed-placement camera.  A helicopter shot came later...all 3 are shown in this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SETNVd7k1E

Rockenfeller (whom I met briefly when he was driving a Porsche at an ALMS race) was not seen on camera for quite a while.  He'd been able to extricate himself from the car and climb over the armco where he wasn't visible to the cameras.  Nobody knew if he was alive, dead, seriously injured...turns out he was slightly injured and sat out the next race to recover fully.  Here's his account of the incident:
http://www.mike-rockenfeller.de/web/front_content.php?idcat=12&idart=216

As to the first crash...that was entirely McNish's fault.  He tried an overtaking move that was way too risky and paid for it.  It's amazing that no one at all was even injured.  The blonde photographer wearing the blue vest in the foreground was incredibly lucky as a tire fell out of the sky less than a yard from her and she didn't even know it.  No, no blonde jokes, although she did something that a race photographer should never do: turn one's back on the track when it's hot (cars are racing.)

Quick update on the race car.  ignition system seems to have survived my distributor rebuild and even though the carb won't keep the motor running, it would fire up long enough with a few sprays of gas down its throat to verify that all the cylinders are firing and it starts just like a good Chevy should: about a half a turn on the starter.  New carb is due Monday.  Jim (bless his heart) busted his butt to get the 2 8' planks in the trailer joined (they will NEVER come apart on their own) and I've got it masked and ready to hit with some color.  The hood is back on so I can install the pins.  Film at 11...like after I finish the Target 550 update.

On 8/5/2011 6:25 AM, John Christensen wrote:
wow He is lucky as hell.

On Fri, Aug 5, 2011 at 6:09 AM, <STILLFRANKSFAULT@xxxxxxx> wrote:

Smokey Mt Frank