[elky] Re: Fwd: HOW HOT IS IT?????

  • From: Robert Adams <elcam84@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: elky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2011 08:16:39 -0500

                       Exactly. And say the humidity is 100% at 80* well as
the temp goes up the humidity goes down. Same amount of water in the air but
the air is able to hold more. So... Say it's 80* and 50% humidity. Well at
90* and 50% humidity there is quite a bit more water in the air and to
compare humidity by given temperature you have to go by the dew point or
grains of water. Basically when the dew point gets to 60* or more it's
considered humid.
              Sometimes in the hot part of the day the temps will be around
105* and the relative humidity will drop to around 27%. Now many would say
that's a dry heat. Well no it's not because the air is still holding just as
much moisture as say 80* and around 55% humidity. Hence the use of dew point
and it's not a dry heat.... Higher temps just mean that the air can get even
more uncomfortable. Also with that 105* temp and 27% humidity the heat index
is 109*. Now that is lower than it typically is here. Lately the heat index
has been around 105* to 122* with full sun and everything including the
ground heat soaked. The ground is so hot you don't have to use the hot water
knob when taking a shower. If it were just me I would turn the water heater
off, it's that hot.

                  Right now here the dew point is 62* and it will rise
through the day usually. It's 80* as well and the low for the night was 79
so it was a cool night. Our weather the last almost 3 months now has been
very easy to predict. 80* lows at night and 103 highs during the days and
that would be the cool days. Pretty much every day with the few weeks of
108* and 85* low temps.

                         As for humidity the best way to really measure it
is by grains but that's not a realistic way to measure it so short of that
ignore the humidity and look at the dew point.

                       Robert Adams