[elky] Re: Finally a day under 100* and water falling from the sky!!! And a pic of the face frames for the laundry room cabinets

  • From: Mary McCarthy <printces@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: elky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2011 17:04:38 -0700

That's the same plan for the laundry room. Got some redish brown tile the PO left and the sand will blend in well. I'm 5 tiles short... Trying to find another box before I put it down. I may end up putting a similar tile down under the cabinets where they won't be seen. I like all the tile to be in then put in the cabinets. /We do that, too! Just in case you change your mind about the cabinets or appliances, you don't have a hole where the washer used to fit. We bought cheap tile. We bought a bunch of different ones ranging from 99 cents to 2.00. turned out we liked the 99 cent one best. Just no accessory pieces available. So far, I've broken one tile hammering it down. tough stuff. Maybe a contrasting color tile? And it says Made in USA on the box (probably the box is, but I'd like to think that 's the tile). /

Got a few different styles I'm looking at making. Going to go for an arts and crafts look in the rest of the house so I will make them a painted version of that. Not worried about that till I get them in place... The lowers will all be drawers and same with the tall cabinet. Drawers are much more usable than a shelf.

/I like arts & crafts - there's a quality look to it. Yes, drawers are much better. Lucky Geri. /

Yeah Know how those are. Allot of plumbing runs are done to use as little pipe and vents as possible. Really every drain should have it's own vent going up the wall but it's a pain to do. You can tie multiple vents together (to a point) and have less roof penetrations. I'm surprised to see a house that new with PB floors. I do like PB for some things but floors aren't it... There are some new particle boards now made out of basically grasses and they are quite a bit stronger than the conventional yellow pine or whatever we have to shred up stuff. Some even have water resistant glues as well.

/It was on top of nice plywood that looked weathered a bit. A quick bleach wash was all it got. We did find some shreddy stuff by the back door sill so we poured "rot fix" into it. We assumed it was stable underneath that surface damage because we had so much trouble pulling out the 10 thousand nails. /

Most cabinets are made from PB and anything melamine is PB underneath. It's easier to work with cause it's flat and stays flat. Building and installing cabinets made out of plywood can often be a struggle with warping plywood. It warps as it sits in the shop...
/
//ours are plywood, they have that handy man look but are solid and function well. We seem to be stuck with them at the moment. We didn't see any larger sheets of Hardie board but figured the smaller size isn't so heavy and would probably not line up with the joints in the 4 by 8 sheets of plywood.
/

Yup I'm not a fan of durok. I need 4x8 sheets of 1/4 hardiebacker but not even the commercial yards carry it. The 1/4 is actually better than the 1/2" in strength and 1/2 is mainly used if you have to make up floor thickness.

106* and 30% humidity here as usual.Heat index is typically around 110 every day... Lows at night are barely hitting 85 before the sun comes up. In the 90s till the early hours of the morning too.

/eeuuuuu - a cooler low 80's. Spoze to cloud up tonight. Portland hit 90 yesterday for the first time this year. thought you'd like to know that <G>

Mary
/