[elky] Re: Even more curiouser

  • From: Mary McCarthy <printces@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: elky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2011 17:24:53 -0700

'kay - thanks!

Mary
To answer your question about the accuracy of the car's temp gauge, it's about as accurate as I'm gonna get it.  It's an aftermarket mechanical gauge, and like all of 'em, they're only good for relative temperatures:

This was last week.  Now it runs at a pretty steady 190.  I think there were a several contributing factors.  First was manual control over the fan.  The ECU doesn't turn it on until 220.  That's just plain stupid.  I don't care HOW much of a reduction in emissions they got from it, that's just too hot to run a motor, especially with a radiator that has plastic end tanks.  Dumber than shit, as a matter of fact.

The other factors were flushing the cooling system twice with chemical flush, then back-flushing it with clear water...which is what's in the radiator now.  Finally, the 180 t-stat is a lot better than a 195, IMNSHO.  According to the 3rd Gen F-body forums, this doesn't affect the ECU operation at all.

Ok.  I gotta go get the battery box securely mounted in the race car.