[elky] Re: Drag Racing Report

  • From: Chris Lindh <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: elky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2011 12:12:15 -0400

That is a cool Camaro.  I'd get involved in SETA if someone got it started.

Having done both in a relatively short time, I'd say land speed racing is
more enjoyable than drag racing.  With drag racing I could care less who is
in the other lane, how fast they are, their reaction time, etc.  I would
prefer the other car wasn't deafeningly loud to the point of distracting
me.  Maybe it would be more fun if I was bracket racing and trying to run my
dial in?... but with the traction issues I'd never make it out of the first
round, my ETs are all over the place.

Drag racing IS fun for me because I can drive fast in a safe environment.

Land speed racing, especially on the salt, is fun because the race track is
longer so the racing is longer, and you go faster.  I think there is less
likelihood of parts breakage since traction is limited... (although some
parts will find their limit at speed, as we found).  Less shock loads on
parts like drag racing.  Also land speed racing is solo, so you're not
distracted by another racer.

I'd like to continue racing the Elky in sportsman racing within a reasonable
distance.  The plan as of now is once the bugs are worked out give it a race
car paint job and add the company logo.  A rolling billboard to show the
manufacturers products and I would create content for my site and social
networking based on projects and racing.

I discovered what I thought was a leaking header collector gasket was
actually the header to cylinder head gasket.  Turns out if the front two
bolts holding the header to the head vibrate loose the the point of falling
out the gasket will not seal...  I replaced the gasket and noticed white
residue in the exhaust port near where the exhaust was leaking... this may
indicate a head gasket leak.  I'll re-torque the head and keep an eye on it.