[elky] Re: Curiouser and curiouser (thermostat)

  • From: Dann Keller <kwhale22@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Ray Buck et al <elky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2011 08:22:04 -0700

Here is the outfit I got my Robertshaw thermostat from.

FlowKooler Automobile Water Pumps - Chevy, Dodge, Jeep, Ford, and more

Dan

From: johncgg@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2011 06:17:17 -0500
Subject: [elky] Re: Curiouser and curiouser (thermostat)
To: elky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I started searching for Robershaw Thermostats this morning. I found this page:
http://www.stewartcomponents.com/tech_tips/Tech_Tips_3.htm From this info, they
are Stewart/Robertshaw now.

This PDF on page 20 lists some, but I am not sure what size mine is without
going out and measuring.

Looks like they already have holes drilled in the modified ones for bleeding
and bypass. I have always put a 1/8" hole in mine.
Advice is appreciated.

Mine is at 220 on the gauge almost all the time. I think I have a 195 in there,
and would like to go to a to a 180 again. The only thought, is that sometimes
the engine will idle up again if the temp sensor doesn't see it hot enough. I
think that the idle was more consistent with the sensor in the intake, instead
of the thermostat housing, and I may move it back if I have the system open
again. We moved the sensor when we did the serpentine swap. You can see the
plug in the intake where it used to be.

Thanks!

JC

On Sun, Jul 24, 2011 at 8:32 AM, Robert Adams <elcam84@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

                   Really common for thermostats for quite some time. Like Dan
said the Robertshaws are the best. I wonder if they really make more than one
or they just stamp them different and hope no one notices.

                     Thermostats are supposed to "start" opening at their rated
temp but like you found they often don't.

                                    Robert Adams

On Sat, Jul 23, 2011 at 3:04 PM, Ray Buck <rbuck@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I've never tried this trick before: putting the thermostat in a pot of water
and observing the temperature at which it opens.

This is a brand-new, unused 180F thermostat from Otter Zone.  Here it's closed
at just under 200F:

And here, it's wide open at just OVER 200F:

It sure seems like a 195 thermostat to me, but it's marked 180.

I dunno.