[elky] Re: Curiouser and curiouser (thermostat)

  • From: Robert Adams <elcam84@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: elky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2011 08:32:42 -0500

                   Really common for thermostats for quite some time. Like
Dan said the Robertshaws are the best. I wonder if they really make more
than one or they just stamp them different and hope no one notices.

                     Thermostats are supposed to "start" opening at their
rated temp but like you found they often don't.

                                    Robert Adams

On Sat, Jul 23, 2011 at 3:04 PM, Ray Buck <rbuck@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>  I've never tried this trick before: putting the thermostat in a pot of
> water and observing the temperature at which it opens.
>
> This is a brand-new, unused 180F thermostat from Otter Zone.  Here it's
> closed at just under 200F:
>

> And here, it's wide open at just OVER 200F:
>

> It sure seems like a 195 thermostat to me, but it's marked 180.
>
> I dunno.

JPEG image

JPEG image