[elky] Re: Boise roadster show (DVD slide shows and T-Mobile)

  • From: John Christensen <johncgg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: elky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2010 06:39:21 -0500

On 3/19/2010 5:25 AM, John Christensen wrote:

Great job Ray. Lots of fat fenders. Some really nice ones. It would be fun
to take on one of those, but I don't have the extra $60K+laying around.

JC

133d0d2310
133d0d2310

Well, it looks like it's been about 24 hours since I was near a computer.
Life is interesting. Grandma is getting stronger by the day, I came home
from work and Mom & Grandma were eating, so I took my sweetie out to eat. We
had a great time getting away even for an hour. Nate went out with his
buddies. We got to see his old room mate Mike, that went with us to Mexico.
Haven't seen him since November, so it was fun to catch up.

On Fri, Mar 19, 2010 at 7:30 AM, Ray Buck <rbuck@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>  Thanks, John.  Hey...you got any spare candles around there?  I seem to
> have burned all mine up.  :)  I gotta leave for scenic downtown Pocatello,
> Id in a coupla hours and...well, they say there's no rest for the weary...or
> the wicked, depending, I spose on yer point of view.  :)

I resemble those remarks. It's quiet, and snowing at the moment. Though I
would get some CAD done so I can give my time to the family when they are
awake. I have the weekend off! I doubt if working on the rain barrels is
gonna happen though. It's coming down pretty hard.

> Here's an interesting question for ya.  I'm just barely gettin started
> makin slide shows on DVD.  I'm usin Nero (the version that came with the DVD
> drive, 'course it's "only a demo" so ya gotta pay the ransom if ya wanna use
> it "fer keeps.")  I think you've done some of this stuff, haven't you?  If
> so, do you have any advice for the wicked....I mean weary?  (I think it may
> be double shot of 5 hour energy drink day.)

I like the look of your current font by the way. It's easy on the eyes, and
easy to read.

I bought Roxio Easy Media Creator 7 years ago, because burning was always a
hassle (to me), but I needed to get it done for home and work.  I have no
idea what version is out there now. Although the modules take a while to
load, there is quite a variety of formats, and media choice. The price was
reasonable at the time.

My first question would be what is the slide show for? You can make them as
a CD-R video on disk, or an actual DVD format. The video on disk I think can
me emailed, but it's been a while. There might be a small program attached,
and that can pose problems with anti-virus programs. I let the software do
the work. The only time I actually set up the slide shows for work, was for
this s#!tty DVD player that was designed to go in a show case. I think they
paid $150-200 for it years ago, and it would only play burned CD-R video on
disk. So ...... why did they call it a DVD player? It did not play a
DVD..... I begged them to return it.... but it had a little acrylic Diamond
on it. A digital Photo frame is what they use now, and all you have to do is
put then images on a SD chip, and slide it in there. Beats the s#!t out of
the CD format (IMHO) Alhough it is not as big, generally, you can get a lot
of pics on a chip in the usual 800x600 display format. It's dead simple to
set up, and would be great on the table next to your stuff at an event. It
wouldn't tie up any system resources either.

Anyway, by the end of the day we should have some shots from "Chrome in the
> Dome," the show at the Idaho State U's covered field...it was the first in
> the country at a college, btw...as if that makes any difference, and I'm
> gonna be testing out my new GPS (Garmin 1300) that I just got yesterday.
> After gettin so turned around in Boise, I figgered I needed a little help.
> So a friend gave me a little help.  He bought it at WalMart (he's an
> employee) and we got a bit of a discount.  I'll see how it works.
> >snip<
> Updates as news happens...and next time I should be able to post updates
> from a smart phone.

I have no idea what you mean by having to have an iPhone and an iPod Touch.
I have both, but the touch is basically retired. They perform the same exact
functions, except the iPhone has a phone. Also, you don't have to connect to
a wireless network with the iPhone, because you are always on one. Pandora
Internet Radio is one of my favorite things, and I can use it driving down
the road. If the phone rings when I'm in the Volvo, the bluetooth plays the
call through the stereo and pics it up on the mic in the dash. The quality
could be better on the other end, but I think that is a mic placement issue.
When the call is done, the music picks up on the note it left off. I get
exposed to new music that way. I have said this before, no problem with AT&T
here. I used to have Verizon, and I didn't mind it either, but the iPhone
has what I need, and my needs are really simple. The fact that the contacts
sync with my computer, the calendar, my pictures, my tunes, everything is
there. For me it works. iTunes is not my favorite program, but this is not a
perfect world.... just in case i need to hit anyone over the head with that
news. I am happy with just being above ground.

Looking forward to the next round of pics. Also looking forward to the
cruise season, and getting a few of my own.

Peace,