[elky] Re: Boise roadster show (DVD slide shows and T-Mobile)

  • From: Mary McCarthy <printces@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: elky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2010 09:47:38 -0700

be careful with the GPS. If it sends you off on a road with no line down the middle and you hit snow, TURN AROUND. We lose more people out here in the mountains because they followed their GPS into a snow bank and couldn't get out.

There is makeup to cover the tattoos for weddings.

enjoy Pocatella, someone has to.

Mary

Thanks, John. Hey...you got any spare candles around there? I seem to have burned all mine up. :) I gotta leave for scenic downtown Pocatello, Id in a coupla hours and...well, they say there's no rest for the weary...or the wicked, depending, I spose on yer point of view. :)

Here's an interesting question for ya. I'm just barely gettin started makin slide shows on DVD. I'm usin Nero (the version that came with the DVD drive, 'course it's "only a demo" so ya gotta pay the ransom if ya wanna use it "fer keeps.") I think you've done some of this stuff, haven't you? If so, do you have any advice for the wicked....I mean weary? (I think it may be double shot of 5 hour energy drink day.)

Anyway, by the end of the day we should have some shots from "Chrome in the Dome," the show at the Idaho State U's covered field...it was the first in the country at a college, btw...as if that makes any difference, and I'm gonna be testing out my new GPS (Garmin 1300) that I just got yesterday. After gettin so turned around in Boise, I figgered I needed a little help. So a friend gave me a little help. He bought it at WalMart (he's an employee) and we got a bit of a discount. I'll see how it works.

I woulda had a Motorola Cliq smart phone/pda but T-mobile and WalMart weren't exactly on speaking terms. Seems that WalMart doesn't pay their T-Mobile kiosk employees commission, while they DO at the T-Mobile store. The price for the unit at that store is $160. At WalMart (I really don't like shopping there...it's like rewarding bad behavior, but sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do) the price was $79. A no-brainer. I should be able to get it tomorrow or I may have to wait until Monday.

This is a strange deal. I had to call T-Mobile from WalMart and keep pestering the guy on the phone until I got 1) unlimited minutes and 2) unlimited bandwidth for less than I was paying for 1500 minutes a month on my old plan. Then we tried to do a phone upgrade. I'm 17 months into a 2 year contract. I kept at him and finally handed the phone to the lovely young lady who was helping me and eventually the guy, after 15 minutes of pleading that he couldn't do anything, was able to flip a bit in my database record that would make me eligible for the upgrade.

Is anybody familiar with the "Red Tape Chronicles?" Well, I'll add more about that later.

Anyway, it takes some time to filter thru the system, I guess. So it didn't show on WalMart's system. The young lady (named Angel, with a tattooed necklace...I wonder what she's gonna do when that necklace doesn't go with the wedding dress she chooses, yanno?) anyway, she printed out the price and suggested I go to the T-Mobile store and see if they would be willing to match prices.

I went to that store (about 100 yards across the parking lot and just told the young lady there that she had a choice: either accept the commission on the lower price...and get something...or get nothing if they wouldn't match the price. Now this flies in the face of all logic, but she and another lady talked about it and finally decided that they couldn't do any competitive price matching. So she got zero commission and I'll go buy the phone from WalMart after a day or so...or maybe Amazon.

Robert: I understand your affinity for Nokia phones and ATT, but I'm ok with T-Mobile's service. The frequency's never posed any problems that I know of and as a "long-term customer, they were willing to do all sorts of things for me to keep me. When I dealt with ATT last year for the cell modem, I got all sorts of runaround and a $5 charge for this and a $5 charge for that and I really wasn't happy with their cell modem, which, according to the people at ATT, was the latest and greatest. I'd sure hate to see the oldest and worstest. So I'm not too worried about staying with T-Mobile. Besides...I like the Cliq device. It's an Android device, which, in my opinion, beats an iPhone and an iPod Touch (I'd have to buy both to get the functionality I'd get with the Cliq device) all to hell. Besides...it's based on open source Symbian Linux rather than on the Mac OS. And there are a whole lotta free apps for it. So it's what I've decided to go with. If it's a bad decision, I guess I'll have to live with it.

Back to the saga, I just put off the Cliq purchase (I'm wondering if I can get Amazon's 1 cent deal, now that they bit-fiddled with my "plan" and upgrade status) until after the status change is reflected in the external data warehouse (at least that's how I envision it working) until I get back from Pocatello and then I should be ready for the Rockabilly Weekend in 2 weeks in Las Vegas. Confused yet? Me, too.

Yanno, 3.5 hours of sleep isn't quite enough. But I'll have to wait until this evening before I can crash...Miles to go before I zonk out for the night, just to trash Robert Frost's poem:
http://quotations.about.com/cs/poemlyrics/a/Stopping_ByWood.htm

I gotta get some other stuff done.

Updates as news happens...and next time I should be able to post updates from a smart phone.

Sent from my Dreadnought using that gawdawful Thunderbird email program

On 3/19/2010 5:25 AM, John Christensen wrote:
Great job Ray. Lots of fat fenders. Some really nice ones. It would be fun to take on one of those, but I don's have the extra $60K+laying around.

JC

133d0d2310
1984 El Camino "Elkenstein" 350 TBI
NECOA #042 http://www.myelcamino.net
Saint Charles, IL
133d0d2310

On Fri, Mar 19, 2010 at 1:47 AM, Ray Buck <rbuck@xxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:rbuck@xxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    Photos on the server:
    http://www.chevyasylum.com/cruisin/cruisin2010/20100312/Welcome.html

    I'm wiped out.  Gotta get some rest.

-- Sent from my Dreadnought using that gawdawful Thunderbird email program