[elky] Re: Admin: Re: Fwd: Cell Phone Info

  • From: Ray Buck <rbuck@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: elky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2010 21:19:42 -0600

You're right, Jared. Arlo, I'll be happy to unsub you from the list, if that's what you want. However, it might have been better received if you had introduced yourself and allowed us to get to know you.

Many of us have been friends for over a decade. We care about one another and we welcome new members into our "family." But we can't to that unless the new member makes an introduction, rather than a forward of FUD. For those who are unfamiliar with that acronym, it stands for Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt, which is the underlying message carried by many of these so-called warnings. They've been around for a very long time...they became more widespread when the fax machine came into widespread use and quickly spread to the fledgling internet.

I'm sure many remember the warning about being wary of cars with one headlight out. This supposedly signified a gang initiation in which a person who flashed their lights at the one-eyed car would then be killed by the gang initiate. It was pure fabrication but more fax paper was burned up over that one than valid faxes of that day. I knew a secretary who took it upon herself to "forward" this in a department of a large corporation without checking it out. I believe she applied for unemployment benefits the following day.

Now: If you'd like to introduce yourself, we'd be happy to welcome you. I'm attaching a photo of your El Camino. I bear no malice toward you, but as administrator of this list, it's my job to make sure that the content stays within reason and that members, as the only rule written in the footer of the messages says, "play nicely with one another."

Sent from my Dreadnought using that barely tolerable Thunderbird email program

On 7/12/2010 8:58 PM, Jared Ryan wrote:
This is a mailing list for discussion about El Caminos and related vehicles. It is NOT a forum for forwarding every Internet hoax e-mail chain forward that can be debunked in two minutes using snopes.com <http://snopes.com>. Speaking for myself, but I'm sure other list members have the same experience, I get enough of that type of forward from relatives without needing to be subscribed to a mailing list. Not wanting to see e-mail forwards is NOT isolated to this group, but is VERY common online. Those who have used teh intarwebz for a while are over the novelty of the "forward" button.

I, for one, DO have a LOT of interest in other people, and all kinds of different things. Fellow list members can attest to that. I love when people start a conversation about such things, not blindly forwarding every amusing-but-untrue anecdote that reaches their in-boxes.

On Jul 12, 2010, at 9:28 PM, go4itmrb@xxxxxxx <mailto:go4itmrb@xxxxxxx> wrote:

As I am not in the KNOQ of all the trials and tribulations of your group and you all seem to have no interest in anything or anyone else, please disenroll me from you group..