[elky] Re: AN Hose

  • From: Robert Adams <elcam84@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: elky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2010 20:17:26 -0600

   Have made but I used aircraft stuff which is allot nicer stuff than the
car stuff. Despite what some advertising says there is a difference. It is a
pain to assemble. Make sure your hoses are cut perfect and then use the lube
when screwing the fittings into the hose and same with the collars. The
steel and stainless ones are great but the aluminum ones are real finneky
and gall easily.

           To be honest on my TPI I used one section of AN hose and it
lasted a couple years before it started to get wet then spew fuel. I
replaced that spot with steel line (didn't need flex it's just allot of
bends). For flexible hose I used plain old high quality FI hose and it has
been perfect. Not a single problem. I also used aircraft/equipment style
hose clamps in pairs. They have a stainless sleeve with strain reliefed
edges and the outer band with the screw is a stainless strap. I have never
had one of those leak anything. The will hold up to 100s and low thousands
of PSI so 50lbs of fuel is easy especially using two.

          Another couple issues with the braided AN hose is that it's very
abrasive. It has to be adel clamped and no rubbing of any sort allowed or it
will eat through anything it touches. It's also a pain to bend and get into
place like you want. I personally have had little luck with using AN hose
for gas lines as it seems to eat the rubber over time however it works great
with oils of any sort.

                     Robert Adams