[elky] Re: 2WD vs. 4WD Truck

  • From: Jared Ryan <jryan@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: elky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 6 Sep 2009 18:20:45 -0500

Belt drive are nice and quiet, but I personally don't find the chain drives particularly noisy. Mine is a chain drive. I think it was on sale when I got it, a pretty good sale. I seem to have a knack for finding major appliances and tools on sale lately.

I worked at Sears for a while and I don't know how many people bought Craftsman openers who were replacing a Craftsman opener that was 10 or 15 or 20 years old. The motors are made by Chamberlain and they seem to have been very well made for a very long time. Overall people seemed very satisfied with them, enough to buy one again to replace one that had finally worn out.

 ---> Jared Ryan <---
jryan@xxxxxxxxxxxx | http://www.caminofx.org

On Sep 6, 2009, at 9:43 AM, John Christensen wrote:

I have a belt drive opener, that's really quiet, bit the hardware is shit. The pully at the door end is plastic, and the center is reamed out. they want half the price of an opener for a new pully. The emergency pull is wrapped with plumbers strap and bolts to keep it from flexing and breaking when the door opens. I put washers in the spring absorber to keep it from bending and breaking. Craftsman, but I think it's a Chamberlain.