[elky] Re: 1953 Chevy engine compartment

  • From: STILLFRANKSFAULT@xxxxxxx
  • To: elky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2010 08:30:18 EST

Hey John, I love your choice of cars, of course I had a 57 Nomad.   The 57
your showing are  the same colors my Nomad was. But .........it's not a
Nomad.  Hold out for a real  Nomad, believe me you will be glad you did. If ya
need any help, thoughts,  ideas, questions about the Nomad model don't
hesitate to ask.
The Nomad is 100% sportier than the other wagons.
Smoky Mt. Frank

In a message dated 12/3/2010 5:41:47 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
johncgg@xxxxxxxxx writes:

I have  been hanging back.... It's cool, but is the Monte even Running? I
don't know  what the budget is, but I have to prioritize EVERYTHING in my
life. I have so  many tasks undone,  that I can never finish them in the time
allowed.....  24 hours in a day.
(That is why I get up between 3 and 4 in the morning  every day, besides,
thinking of all the tasks will not let me  sleep)

Therefore, only the things that have a purpose are even looked  at. On
occasion, I will refinish a drum. That took 9 or 10 months, and I  haven't done
that since 1983. That's because of it's priority status. Now it's  done, and
I have picked my next frivolous act. It is planning a trip to Utah,  and
that's going to take 9 or 10 months too, in between everything else.

Keeping my Monte on the road has been no small project, and although  it
included pulling the engine and putting it back in, then the trans, it  didn't
remotely resemble what you are talking about. You are retired though
<grin> and have unlimited disposable income ;)  My thoughts on the  Chevy?
Follow
your heart, but don't spread your resources so thin that nothing  your
stable is operational. If the Burb came up to bite you in the ass, you  would
be
a hurtin' unit.

My thoughts for a retirement vehicle I have  already shared ... a 57 Nomad
with a modern power train and suspension that  pulls a teardrop for
traveling around the country. Will I take 10 years to  build it, and take up
the
space in the garage along with 2 other cars that may  or may not be operational
at any given time? Probably not. My wife wouldn't  approve, but she would
let me. Common sense would prevail, mostly because it  is tied to my pocket
book. It is hard to be really stupid when you have no  money. I would really
like to figure out what I will be able to sell in 10  years to be able to
afford something like this though.
_http://chicago.craigslist.org/nch/cto/2091608450.html_
(http://chicago.craigslist.org/nch/cto/2091608450.html)
It  has been on Craig's list for a year. My guess is the guy will not budge
on the  price. He probably has 15 grand more than that in it. Sure would
save a lot of  work that my back just won't take any more.

Speaking of which, I am  glad you are healthy. Happy as hell in fact. I
would worry about you under  this puppy for days/weeks/months on end. Just
being honest.

Your Monte  is small potatoes in comparison. Consider the same amount of
energy invested  in the 53 put towards the Monte: it would have full aero
package, roll cage, 4  link rear, twin turbo, Intercooler, top chopped 4",
Frenched everything on the  body work, HID headlights, satellite data link
upload, automatic rear wing  deployment over 200 mph, and it would still fit in
the garage without the  neighborhood being any the wiser. Get the 53 and I
personally would be trying  to start the Monte for the first time about
September 4, 2011.

Not  trying to sound selfish... hell, I love the look of this thing. I just
know  it's beyond my personal resources.
Not trying to dash your dreams.... will  it do 130 on the Salt when you are
done? (just getting to the salt is on my  bucket list, and I have a feeling
130 is on yours)
Damn, Rufus was a cool  project, and I know you like 'em. If the 53 will
get your mojo workin' then  go for it. You got me lookin' at every rat rod I
see wondering how I  could justify another project. So there. I am just as
indecisive as you about  it.

The Monte is my rat rod for now. Rustoleum on the rust spots,  faded black
paint with fizz can touch up, hail damage, leaky sunroof, and  all.

I will be a live mannequin in the window at the store tonight till  about 8
PM. I'll be sitting there carving wax models at the bench I built a
platform for out of old water bed frames. It is part of Christmas Walk in
Geneva,
IL.
_http://www.genevachamber.com/christmaswalk.html_
(http://www.genevachamber.com/christmaswalk.html)
_http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-I6mBu1kA04_
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-I6mBu1kA04)
The  tail end of the video has some of the people in the windows from last
year.  The first time they did this.

I am rambling, and I gotta get some CAD  done.

Peace,
JC

On Thu, Dec 2, 2010 at 9:03 PM, Ray Buck <_rbuck@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
(mailto:rbuck@xxxxxxxxxxxx) > wrote:

Well, it looks just like   what you'd see in a car that sat for 44 years.
I've seen better, I've  seen worse.

Here's what I'd probably do if I got it...as  opposed to the original idea:

Replace floor pans and trunk  pan.
Yank motor, trans and rear end.
Install 292 I6 with Saginaw  4-speed (or Muncie, if one presented itself)
and later-model rear end to get  rid of torque-tube driveshaft.
Rewire completely with Painless harness,  convert to 12 volt.
Rebuild front suspension and steering.
Use seats  from some junkyard donor, cover with Mexican blankets.
Hell, I spose I  could put it on a donor frame (see below....wheelbase
should be the same as  the Poncho.)

Question is, do I wanna do all that?  The sensible  thing would be to make
sure the race car can race before doing anything  else.  Did I just say
sensible?  Hush mah mouff.

Department of Irony department:  My oldest son ALMOST bought a  Nissan
350ZX Touring today.  It was outta site...and it went for $5k  less than he was
willing to pay for it.  We talked for quite a while  about it...he's already
decided to buy a "sporty car."  It had to be a  quick decision cuz it was
an eBay auction and it ended just a few minutes  ago.  With about 6 hours to
go, he decided not to pull the trigger and  didn't bid.   I was under the
mistaken impression that he'd driven  one (and driven the other cars on his
"possibles" list) and he hadn't.   So I don't even know if he'd like it.  He
probably made a wise  decision, even though the car was/is very kool:
_http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.d
ll?ViewItem&item=200547694279_
(http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200547694279)

Should  I take a lesson from what he did?  If I'm honest with myself, I
have to  say that 1953 is NOT my favorite year of Chevy.  I prefer 49-52 far
more...and even the 54 over the 53.  The 51 Pontiac with the OHC motor  is
more appealing.  Btw, it has a 120" wheelbase, close to a 65-70  Caprice at
119 or 71-76 Caprice at 121.  Interesting concept.  But  a big project.

I must be jonesin (flattery intended, JC) for  the days of
rebuilding/restifying cars like the orange Camaro and the Coyote  Nova
(+++++~~~~~ for its
roof transplant.)  I guess I just otta get out  and install some heating and
insulation in the garage (since I have a small  cash influx from the sale of
posters) and start thrashin on the Monte  Carlo.

I'll sleep on  it.