[edm-discuss] Emerging student data standards

  • From: Turadg Aleahmad <turadg@xxxxxxx>
  • To: edm-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, educoder@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 1 Sep 2012 13:48:36 -0400

I just came across Ed-Fi and thought the
EDM<http://educationaldatamining.org>and
Educoder <http://educoder.github.com> communities may be interested in
helping shape the specification. It seems similar to  Learning
Registry<http://www.learningregistry.org>.
Anyone on these lists making use of these student data standards?

Request for Comment (RFC) Period Opens for Upcoming Ed-Fi™ 1.1 release |
<http://www.ed-fi.org/2012/07/request-comment-rfc-period-opens-upcoming-ed-fi-1-1-release/>
Ed-Fi.org

The Ed-Fi Discussion <http://discussions.zoho.com/ed-fi#home>

From the Ed-Fi.org FAQ <http://www.ed-fi.org/faqs/#what-is-ed-fi>:

> The Ed-Fi solution  includes an XML-based data specification combined with
> a free tool suite developed by the Michael & Susan Dell
> Foundation<http://www.msdf.org/> to
> improve student achievement in the K-12 education sector. The Ed-Fi
> solution extracts student information from a variety of educational data
> systems, and then standardizes, integrates and communicates it to educators
> and other parties through Web-based dashboards, reports and other
> applications.
> The Ed-Fi solution equips educators with actionable insights, so they can
> then make informed decisions on steps to improve the academic outcomes of
> students. School and district administrators, state, and federal agencies
> can also use this information as a supplement or replacement for broader
> state or federal accountability reporting purposes.

-Turadg Aleahmad
http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~taleahma/