[edm-discuss] EDM 2008 deadline, March 31

  • From: "Tiffany Barnes" <tbarnes2@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: edm-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, stars-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2008 01:06:32 -0400

A friendly reminder that our deadline is approaching!
I am resending, since my last post was garbled, I am sorry.

Call for Papers
The First International Conference on Educational Data Mining
( http://www.educationaldatamining.org/EDM2008/ ) brings together
 researchers from computer science, education, psychology,
psychometrics, and statistics to analyze large data sets to answer
educational research questions. The increase in instrumented
educational software, as well as state databases of student test
 scores, has created large repositories of data reflecting how students
learn. The EDM conference focuses on computational approaches for
using those data to address important educational questions. The broad
collection of research disciplines ensures cross fertilization of
 ideas, with the central questions of educational research serving as a
unifying focus. This Conference emerges from preceding EDM workshops
at the AAAI, AIED, EC-TEL, ICALT, ITS, and UM conferences.

The First International Conference on Educational Data Mining brings
 together researchers from computer science, education, psychology,
psychometrics, and statistics to analyze large data sets to answer
educational research questions. The increase in instrumented
educational software, as well as state databases of student test
 scores, has created large repositories of data reflecting how students
learn. The EDM conference focuses on computational approaches for
using those data to address important educational questions. The broad
collection of research disciplines ensures cross fertilization of
 ideas, with the central questions of educational research serving as a
unifying focus. This Conference emerges from preceding EDM workshops
at the AAAI, AIED, EC-TEL, ICALT, ITS, and UM conferences.

Topics Of Interest
 We welcome papers describing original work. Areas of interest include
but are not limited to:

   * Improving educational software. Many large educational data sets
are generated by computer software. Can we use our discoveries to
 improve the software's effectiveness?
    * Domain representation. How do learners represent the domain?
Does this representation shift as a result of instruction? Do
different subpopulations represent the domain differently?
    * Evaluating teaching interventions. Student learning data
provides a powerful mechanism for determining which teaching actions
are successful. How can we best use such data?
    * Emotion, affect, and choice. The student's level of interest
 and willingness to be a partner in the educational process is
critical. Can we detect when students are bored and uninterested? What
other affective states or student choices should we track?
    * Integrating data mining and pedagogical theory. Data mining
 typically involves searching a large space of models. Can we use
existing educational and psychological knowledge to better focus our
search?
   * Improving teacher support. What types of assessment information
 would help teachers? What types of instructional suggestions are both
feasible to generate and would be welcomed by teachers?
    * Replication studies. We are especially interested in papers
that apply a previously used technique to a new domain, or that
 reanalyze an existing data set with a new technique.

Important Dates

   * Paper submission: March 31, 2008
    * Acceptance notification: April 30, 2008
   * Camera ready paper: May 16, 2008
   * Conference: June 20-21, 2008

Submission Types
All submissions should follow the formatting guidelines (MS Word,
PDF). There are two types of submission:
    * Full papers: Maximum of 10 pages. Should describe substantial,
unpublished work
    * Young researcher: Maximum of 8 pages. Designed for graduate
students and undergraduates

Conference Organization
   * Conference Chair: Tiffany Barnes, University of North Carolina
Charlotte, USA
    * Program Chairs: Ryan S. J. d. Baker, Carnegie Mellon
 University, USA; Joseph E. Beck, Worcester Polytechnic Institute, USA
   * Local Arrangements Chair: Michel Desmáris, Ecole Polytechnique
de Montreal, Canada
    * Web Chair: Arnon Hershkovitz, Tel Aviv University, Israel

Program Committee
   * Anjo Anjewierden, University of Twente, The Netherlands
   * Esma Aěmeur, University of Montreal, Canada
   * Ivon Arroyo, University of Massachusetts Amherst, USA
    * Bettina Berendt, University of Berlin, Germany
    * Christophe Choquet, Université du Maine, France
   * Cristina Conati, University of British Columbia, Canada
   * Janice Gobert, Worcester Polytechnic Institute, USA
    * Neil Heffernan, Worcester Polytechnic Institute, USA
    * Brian Junker, Carnegie Mellon University, USA
   * Judy Kay, University of Sydney, Australia
   * Kenneth Koedinger, Carnegie Mellon University, USA
    * Brent Martin, Canterbury University, New Zealand
    * Noboru Matsuda, Carnegie Mellon University, USA
   * Gord McCalla, University of Saskatchewan, Canada
   * Bruce McLaren, Deutsches Forschungszentrum für Künstliche
Intelligenz, Germany
    * Tanja Mitrovic, Canterbury University, New Zealand
    * Cristóbal Romero Morales, Cordoba University, Spain
   * Mykola Pechenizkiy, Eindhoven University of Technology, Netherlands
   * Kaska Porayska-Pomsta, London Knowledge Laboratory, UK
    * Carolyn Rosé, Carnegie Mellon University, USA
    * Carolina Ruiz, Worcester Polytechnic Institute, USA
   * Sebastián Ventura Soto, Cordoba University, Spain
   * Steven Tanimoto, University of Washington, USA
    * Silvia Viola, Universita' Politecnica delle Marche, Italy
    * Kalina Yacef, University of Sydney, Australia

--
Tiffany Barnes
Assistant Professor