[edm-discuss] Re: Clustering with more DB tables

  • From: "Ryan S.J.d. Baker" <rsbaker@xxxxxxx>
  • To: edm-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2009 08:51:34 -0400

500 attributes is really not that big.

The data sets I work with are definitely not large feature space,
and I often work with tables with over 500 features, once I've
derived my set of composite features.

The kinds of tables one sees in publications at KDD (a principal data
mining conference) can get much, much, much, much
bigger than 500 attributes. By several orders of magnitude.

If your preferred DM algorithm can't handle data this size, you might
check out the literature on dimensionality reduction. I particularly
like Yu & Liu's work on fast correlation-based filtering.

Cheers,
Ryan